Front Speaker sound intensity

Help me please...

I have a 8 ohm Home Theater receiver (5.1 Dolby Digital) connected to 'two front' 6 ohm floor style speakers and remaining are 8 ohm satellite speakers & Subwoofer.

I have problem with the front speakers...

I get excellent sound from fronts when playing FM radio, but very low sound when playing DVD or Digital Cable. I tried changing speaker sound levels, etc, etc..but nothing has helped.

I have used a digital coaxial cable to connect the DVD to the receiver..

If connecting the 6 ohm speaker to 8 ohm receiver is the problem - how come the FM tuner works great??

Thanks for your interest!

Reply to
itemsale2003
Loading thread data ...

Actually 6 Ohm speaker on 8 Ohm amp will be louder if the amp can handle the lower impedance. Impedance, SPL, dynamic range, dispersion angle, damping are factors in speaker performance. You did not mention brand name of amp or speakers.

Reply to
Tony Hwang

Thx. My receiver and speakers are Precision Acoustics. However, I bought everything seperately and not as a package.

Like I said the stereo mode for FM tuner works great, but when I change to 5.1 and play all speakers and subwoofer, the sound from the satellites are better than the 6 ohm floor speakers.

T> > Help me please...

Reply to
itemsale2003

Hi, Discs have lot more dynamic range than FM broadcast. Maybe the speaker can't handle that increased dynamics.

Reply to
Tony Hwang

I had a similar problem in the past. It bugged the crap out of me. In the end, I purchased new speakers all the way around and my center worked just fine in all modes. I didn't exactly have matched/balanced speakers but they weren't so mismatched that it should have caused such woes. I had Klipsch towers in the front, Klipsch center, and Polk Audio rears. I swapped all of them with 5 identical Bose--problem solved. Either my receiver didn't like the Klipsch center or the mismatch was throwing the whole thing off.

Reply to
Lane

In 5.1, you're driving 5 speakers instead of 2. The way most common receivers are, you'll have to turn up the volume to get enough power to drive the extra speakers to the same loudness you achieved with only 2 speakers.

Reply to
MrC1

Actually, I've noticed and wondered about the same thing. I've installed several systems using 5.1 preamps driving separate power amps and the front volume in 2ch stereo mode is always considerably louder than when switched to 5.1 mode.

I could see box store HT receivers flaming out when 5 of 6 channels are driven, but not separate power amps.

-G

Reply to
Gandalf

Cabling-Design.com Forums website is not affiliated with any of the manufacturers or service providers discussed here. All logos and trade names are the property of their respective owners.