Best practices to connect all my crap???

Just wondering the best way to connect all of this stuff to best use the TV's inputs, I guess the big question is what to bring in on the HDMI, HD Cable or HTPC? If I'm not offering enough info, please advise and I'll answer as best I can.

TV inputs: AV1 - AV & CVI YPbPr AV2 - AV & S-video AV3 - Side, AV & S-video AV4 - HDMI 2fh auto (whatever that is) AV5 - YPbPr RGB 2fh (480p/1080i)

HD capable Cable DVR (motorola) outputs: HDMI YPbPr S-video

"HTPC" outputs, mostly used as a DVD & media (AVI, WMV, MPEG etc) player VGA S-Video DVI

S-VHS VCR outputs (don't use it much) S-video

Stand-alone Prog Scan DVD (optional) YPbPr S-video

Probably will bring the PlayStation on the side inputs.

Reply to
doug.masters
Loading thread data ...

You don't, by chance, have an up-converting HT receiver?

Didn't think so...

My suggestion:

HD Cable DVR ---> AV4 (HDMI) HTPC -------------> AV1 (using a VGA to YPbPr cable) S-VHS ------------> AV2 DVD --------------> AV5 Playstation -------> AV3

Reply to
yustr

Awesome, thanks!

Does the VGA to RCA Component connection need any "conversion" or just a cable? What about a DVI to RCA Component cable instead? Not arguing, just asking?

Obviously want to do this on the cheap, and those converters are

*expensive*!
Reply to
Doug

It seems to depend on the video card in your HTPC. Check the mfgr's literature. A cable to do either is not expensive (see

formatting link
and
formatting link
but even they warn about compatability with most vid cards. (Note: I've never used their cables - just what came up on Google!)

I doubt there's a "see-able" difference between VGA to Component and DVI to Component.

Reply to
yustr

Please check out

formatting link
I think the products there will help you a lot. Sincerely, Jennifer

Reply to
jennifer.inlasvegas

Cabling-Design.com Forums website is not affiliated with any of the manufacturers or service providers discussed here. All logos and trade names are the property of their respective owners.