A/V Receiver under 1,000

Have a question or want to start a discussion? Post it! No Registration Necessary.  Now with pictures!

Threaded View


Hi all,

I'm looking for recommendations on a good A/V Receiver for a home theater.
I'm a novice in this area. If there are any good websites that do reviews
and comparisons of A/V receivers this would be very helpful also. I'm open
to all recommendations on learning more about home theater and specifically
the sound (receivers, speakers, wiring, setup, etc).

Thanks a lot for your help.

TH


Re: A/V Receiver under 1,000



> Hi all,
>
> I'm looking for recommendations on a good A/V Receiver for a home theater.
> I'm a novice in this area. If there are any good websites that do reviews
> and comparisons of A/V receivers this would be very helpful also. I'm open
> to all recommendations on learning more about home theater and
specifically
> the sound (receivers, speakers, wiring, setup, etc).
>
> Thanks a lot for your help.

After some research I ordered a Yahama rx-v750:
http://www.epinions.com/pr-Yamaha_RX-V750_7_1_THX_EX_DTS_ES_Channel_Home_Audio_Receiver
It sets up the volumes using a mic and isn't too expensive.  I'll let you
know how it sounds when I hear it.

You might consider subscribing to Sound and Vision.  I'm sure some of the
reviews could be biased by advertising, but you can learn a lot from reading
it.  I find it makes great bathroom reading (not meant as an insult).

Good luck.

>
> TH




Re: A/V Receiver under 1,000


larrylook wrote:
>
>>Hi all,
>>
>>I'm looking for recommendations on a good A/V Receiver for a home theater.
>>I'm a novice in this area. If there are any good websites that do reviews
>>and comparisons of A/V receivers this would be very helpful also. I'm open
>>to all recommendations on learning more about home theater and
>
> specifically
>
>>the sound (receivers, speakers, wiring, setup, etc).
>>
>>Thanks a lot for your help.
>
>
> After some research I ordered a Yahama rx-v750:
>
http://www.epinions.com/pr-Yamaha_RX-V750_7_1_THX_EX_DTS_ES_Channel_Home_Audio_Receiver
> It sets up the volumes using a mic and isn't too expensive.  I'll let you
> know how it sounds when I hear it.
>
> You might consider subscribing to Sound and Vision.  I'm sure some of the
> reviews could be biased by advertising, but you can learn a lot from reading
> it.  I find it makes great bathroom reading (not meant as an insult).
>
> Good luck.
>
>
>>TH
>
>
>
Look for a good Denon 5.1 receiver.  They seem to have the best ease of
use and are reasonablly priced.  I deal with them for my small custom
home theater jobs.  I hope this helps.


Re: A/V Receiver under 1,000


>
>> Hi all,
>>
>> I'm looking for recommendations on a good A/V Receiver for a home
>> theater.
>> I'm a novice in this area. If there are any good websites that do reviews
>> and comparisons of A/V receivers this would be very helpful also. I'm
>> open
>> to all recommendations on learning more about home theater and
> specifically
>> the sound (receivers, speakers, wiring, setup, etc).
>>
>> Thanks a lot for your help.
>
> After some research I ordered a Yahama rx-v750:
>
http://www.epinions.com/pr-Yamaha_RX-V750_7_1_THX_EX_DTS_ES_Channel_Home_Audio_Receiver
> It sets up the volumes using a mic and isn't too expensive.  I'll let you
> know how it sounds when I hear it.
>
> You might consider subscribing to Sound and Vision.  I'm sure some of the
> reviews could be biased by advertising, but you can learn a lot from
> reading
> it.  I find it makes great bathroom reading (not meant as an insult).
>
> Good luck.
>
>>
>> TH

Larry, I'm in the market for a receiver, and did tons of research, and I
came up with the same Yamaha receiver.  So how does it sound?  I'm hoping to
use some Yamaha NS555 or NS333 speakers with it, but since the RX-V750 is
what I'm hoping to pick up, I'd love to hear your thoughts on this unit.
vij




Re: A/V Receiver under 1,000



vij wrote:
> >
> >> Hi all,
> >>
> >> I'm looking for recommendations on a good A/V Receiver for a home
> >> theater.
> >> I'm a novice in this area. If there are any good websites that do
reviews
> >> and comparisons of A/V receivers this would be very helpful also.
I'm
> >> open
> >> to all recommendations on learning more about home theater and
> > specifically
> >> the sound (receivers, speakers, wiring, setup, etc).
> >>
> >> Thanks a lot for your help.
> >
> > After some research I ordered a Yahama rx-v750:
> >
http://www.epinions.com/pr-Yamaha_RX-V750_7_1_THX_EX_DTS_ES_Channel_Home_Audio_Receiver
> > It sets up the volumes using a mic and isn't too expensive.  I'll
let you
> > know how it sounds when I hear it.
> >
> > You might consider subscribing to Sound and Vision.  I'm sure some
of the
> > reviews could be biased by advertising, but you can learn a lot
from
> > reading
> > it.  I find it makes great bathroom reading (not meant as an
insult).
> >
> > Good luck.
> >
> >>
> >> TH
>
> Larry, I'm in the market for a receiver, and did tons of research,
and I
> came up with the same Yamaha receiver.  So how does it sound?  I'm
hoping to
> use some Yamaha NS555 or NS333 speakers with it, but since the
RX-V750 is
> what I'm hoping to pick up, I'd love to hear your thoughts on this
unit.
> vij

So far I'm very happy, but it's new and not so much time to use it.  No
regrets and the home theater sounds great.  The reviews are positive.
I think you'll be very happy.  I need to try the microphone (set up).
I have 7.1 theater with atlantic technology speakers.



Re: A/V Receiver under 1,000


The all the rave receiver right now is the Pioneer VSX1014TX-K.  It does
7.1, its THX certified and has MCACC which sets up your speakers and
calibrates room size, speaker distance and size then automatically
adjusts.  You would be hard pressed to find a receiver with more
features and better sound for the price (about $400US).

young...

TH wrote:
> Hi all,
>
> I'm looking for recommendations on a good A/V Receiver for a home theater.
> I'm a novice in this area. If there are any good websites that do reviews
> and comparisons of A/V receivers this would be very helpful also. I'm open
> to all recommendations on learning more about home theater and specifically
> the sound (receivers, speakers, wiring, setup, etc).
>
> Thanks a lot for your help.
>
> TH


Re: A/V Receiver under 1,000


Check out this thread on http://www.hometheaterdiscussion.com

http://www.hometheaterdiscussion.com/forums/forumdisplay.php?s=&forumid=52

I am personally thrilled with my Denon 4802 and a separate Citation amp
for my fronts.  However, many factors to consider before you invest
room size, 5.1, 6.1 etc...

Good luck

TH wrote:
> Hi all,
>
> I'm looking for recommendations on a good A/V Receiver for a home
theater.
> I'm a novice in this area. If there are any good websites that do
reviews
> and comparisons of A/V receivers this would be very helpful also. I'm
open
> to all recommendations on learning more about home theater and
specifically
> the sound (receivers, speakers, wiring, setup, etc).
>
> Thanks a lot for your help.
>
> TH



Re: A/V Receiver under 1,000


Hi,

I also am looking for something is this price range, but am having a hard time
understanding why there is so much of a price difference between models. For
instance, the Denon AVR-1705 looks like a good basic unit for only $399 list,
but the AVR-2805 is about $1,000. The power numbers are not that different,
etc., so why so much more, and especially for stuff that is Made in China.

Also, what about the Onkyo line, e.g. TX-Sr502, 602, and 702? These look
pretty good, at least on paper.

Thanks.

"www.hometheaterdiscussion.com" wrote:

> Check out this thread on http://www.hometheaterdiscussion.com
>
> http://www.hometheaterdiscussion.com/forums/forumdisplay.php?s=&forumid=52
>
> I am personally thrilled with my Denon 4802 and a separate Citation amp
> for my fronts.  However, many factors to consider before you invest
> room size, 5.1, 6.1 etc...
>
> Good luck
>
> TH wrote:
> > Hi all,
> >
> > I'm looking for recommendations on a good A/V Receiver for a home
> theater.
> > I'm a novice in this area. If there are any good websites that do
> reviews
> > and comparisons of A/V receivers this would be very helpful also. I'm
> open
> > to all recommendations on learning more about home theater and
> specifically
> > the sound (receivers, speakers, wiring, setup, etc).
> >
> > Thanks a lot for your help.
> >
> > TH

--
****************************************************
send any email replies to: brewst2 dont_include_this at yahoo
****************************************************




Site Timeline