5.1 from 7.1 receiver?

I am shopping for a home theater receiver. The open space in my home can really only support 2 remote speakers. So, 5.1 sounds like a good fit for me. Unfortunately, all of the new receivers being sold are 6.1 or 7.1. Can the newer 7.1 systems operate in 5.1 mode?

Reply to
quallsbill
Loading thread data ...

Absolutely they can. Just because a receiver has speaker outputs for seven speakers doesn't mean you have to use all of them. You'd have speaker wire going into all the speaker outputs on your receiver, except for the ones labelled "Rear Surround". Get the 7.1 receiver; you'll be glad you did if you ever wish to upgrade from five to seven speakers plus subwoofer.

cheers, supervij

Reply to
vij

Or, you can wire the reciever up as 5.1 and use the other two of the

7.1 channels for a second zone, like your back deck, or maybe the kitchen. If the reciever is wired for it, it'll operate two zones independent of each other. Someone can be watching a DVD in the living room while the people on the back deck are listening to a cd or the radio.

Makes for a usable option.

Reply to
Fyrman

Yep, as others have said, no problem.

I just added a 7.1 channel Harman Kardon to my room and I only have 5.1 setup. Works just fine.

Reply to
Patrick L. Parks

I also have a 5.1 (JBL Cinema ProPack? 600II) speaker setup and just bought a 7.1 Pioneer VSX-516-K receiver. Now my question, how do I hook up my subwoofer since it is not self powered? The only thing I see for hooking up a sub is if it is self powered. The manual that came with it doesn't address 5.1. only 6.1 and

7.1. I know this is an old thread, but I checked and it looks like this is still an active group. Please help me here.
Reply to
Larry

Cabling-Design.com Forums website is not affiliated with any of the manufacturers or service providers discussed here. All logos and trade names are the property of their respective owners.