1080p

I upgraded from a Mits WS55511 to a WD 73727 DLP. The differences are outstanding. SD looks pretty damn good, much better than the RPTV. The unit does a fine job of upscaling 1080i to 1080p and the HD is crystal.

Reply to
L Alpert
Loading thread data ...

I've been thinking of upgrading my 1998 Mits 1080i RPTV to something that displays 1080p. I've been surprised to read reviews that say that none of the current 1080p machines out there from Sony, Mits, Toshiba, Samsung, etc., can accept a 1080p input, such as BluRay when it's ready. This means that the signal would come in at 1080i and have to be upconverted by the TV set.

Does anyone think it's worth waiting a while and getting the TV after this is sorted out? It strikes me that buying a 1080p display that cannot accept

1080p input is somewhat perverse.
Reply to
Howard Roseman

Yes, I was looking at a 70" SXRD as well. It was tough enough pulling the trigger for $5k, the Sony was much more. It's the old price/performance issue. I thought the picture was better on the Sony, but not that much better!

I'm sure they will do something that will make we want to spend more (of course, the wife may not be too happy about it)!!!

Reply to
L Alpert

I saw that TV recently and it was gorgeous. The only thing that topped it in the store was the Sony 60" SXRD, which I think may be the best thing out there now, including plasma. It also does not accept 1080p.

I'm wondering how significant that issue is - at least in the store, the picture of these sets looks like it couldn't get all that much better.

Reply to
Howard Roseman

Suggested retail for that puppy is $13K, which is outrageous considering it has a non-removable protective screen that reflects like a mirror. Not suitable for a bright room, even if it were affordable. The 60" SXRD has an improved contrast ratio and no protective screen. The picture on it is amazing.

Reply to
Howard Roseman

It was a sticker shock!

Reply to
L Alpert

Cabling-Design.com Forums website is not affiliated with any of the manufacturers or service providers discussed here. All logos and trade names are the property of their respective owners.