1 set of speakers, 2 amplifiers?

I suggest running the wires from the amps to a switch box, and then to the speakers. That way you will avoid having both amps connected to the speakers at the same time.

But, I must ask, why would you want to connect two different amps to the same set of speakers?

Reply to
Michelle Steiner
Loading thread data ...

I have a good set of stereo speakers. They now work off one Sony amplifier.

I would like to connect an alternate amplifier to the same set of speakers. Can I just run a set of wires from the second amplifier to the set of speakers.

Except by accident, only one amplifier will be powered on at a given time. Will the two amplifiers, permanently connected to the speakers, damage either the speakers or the amplifiers?

Reply to
Walter R.

Why can't you feed both sources into the same amplifier?

Reply to
Michelle Steiner

As I mentioned, the speakers are high quality.

One amplifier gets input from my computer mp3's: Fairly low quality, but with 6000 songs, little repetition as background music.

The other amplifier provides high quality CD and FM music for those moments when I get tired of background music.

Reply to
Walter R.

I would strongly suggest a Niles ABS-1 as seen here:

formatting link
It's designed specifically for your need and is about the only way to safely connect two audio sources to a single pair of speakers. I used one for several months when I was running seperate amplifiers for audio and home theater.

I no longer need my ABS-1 and would sell it for $20. Let me know if you are interested.

Roger Wright

Reply to
Roger Wright

Cabling-Design.com Forums website is not affiliated with any of the manufacturers or service providers discussed here. All logos and trade names are the property of their respective owners.