XPS-3 Strangeness

Hello. I recently purchased and installed 2 XPS-3 switches I got off EBay. One has a WS-14A/XPSS companion switch.

Almost as soon as I installed these, I have noticed that the one with the companion switch will sometimes turn itself off. But in the last couple days, I have noticed that it is also sometimes turning itself ON. The unit without the companion switch is fine.

I have a CM11A that does turn some modules on/off on timers. But the switches in question are NOT controlled that way. Even so, the strange events do no relate to the events that are programmed (not the same times). I am also very sure that no one else in the area has X-10 running (I live in a pretty rural environment).

So:

(a) Do the XPS-3 units commonly have this problem?

(b) Does the presence of the companion switch make any difference?

(c) Does this seem a manufacturing defect?

(d) Could this be due to a wiring mistake on my end?

Thanks.

Reply to
David White
Loading thread data ...

Reply to
BruceR

The circuit in question has 2 overhead incandescent bulbs and 2, 2-bulb fluorescent shop-type lights.

Would the noise you are speaking of come from something on the controlled circuit or outside?

I had the thing wired by a pro electrician and he carefully identified the wires and matched them to the instructions. It all works just fine. But just a moment ago, I turned on the switch and within a minute it shut itself off again on its own. This auto-OFF seems to happen with greater frequency than auto-ON.

I am not sure how these work. I know there is a relay inside as I can hear it snap. I presume that switching the XPS-3 ON engages the relay which holds contact until it is switched OFF. Is this correct? If so, could it be a faulty relay that is just "letting-go"? That would explain the auto-OFF but I guess not the auto-ON.

On a different but related issue: I am running active home connected to my CM11A and watching its communications log in an effort to see any "stray" commands. When I manually turn either of my XPS-3 switches on/off I do not see any activity. Are these things supposed to generate a signal when they are turned off/on?

Thanks.

BruceR wrote:

Reply to
David White

Reply to
BruceR

You might find some useful tips in one of X-10's FAQs...

formatting link
Inductive spikes from fluorescents and brown-outs are among the causes.

Bruce: Most Smarthome switches and modules (even the low end > The X10 Pro line does not generate a signal under any condition - they

Reply to
dlh

Right, I didn't mean to exclude remote operation but the OP was specifically asking about manual operation. The only Smarthome manufactured switches that are currently in their catalog are their Insteon switches which are also X10 compatible.

Reply to
BruceR

In X10 mode, they report changes even with manual operation or with things like bulb failure.

Reply to
dlh

Thanks for all the responses.

I had another XPS-3 that has been working perfectly on another circuit. So I took your advice and swapped the two switches. I find that the problem does NOT follow the switch. So there does seem to be an issue with the circuit in question.

Thinking that there may be stray commands passing, I have been running version 1.42 of ActiveHome (which seems to fix other strangeness I have been seeing when running version 1.32 on Windows XP) and watching its communications log. I am not seeing any unexpected commands being received.

So perhaps it is noise as you suggest. But if, as you say, the noise should not generate on/off commands, how could it be impacting the XPS-3? I bought these switches precisely because they are supposed to handle fluorescents. Can I tell if the fluorescents are the cause simply by removing the tubes? Or will there still be noise from the ballasts?

Is there anything I can do about the noise save removing the shop lights?

Thanks.

BruceR wrote:

Reply to
David White

Reply to
BruceR

The switch mode power supplies used in CFLs frequently output continuous noise in the band used by X10. This tends to block X10 operation - frequently allowing you to turn them on but preventing you from turning them off. Filters between switch and fluorescent can address this.

Such noise does not generate phantom commands. (There are a few monkeys typing away furiously and randomly at their keyboards who dispute this.) Monitoring the line with an X10 interface (e.g. CM11A) can detect valid commands but will not detect random noise. I have monitored using methods that will show noise and detected nothing at the time such phantom events occur. My events were caused by spikes when a particular fluorescent was operated - replacing the LM14A with an Insteon/X10 module cured it.

Older fluorescents with magnetic ballasts can generate spikes > Thanks for all the responses.

Reply to
dlh

Do you have X-10 wireless units in the house? The receivers are notorious for generating random all lights on and other random on codes.

Reply to
John J. Bengii

Reply to
David White

Cabling-Design.com Forums website is not affiliated with any of the manufacturers or service providers discussed here. All logos and trade names are the property of their respective owners.