X10 with Compact Fluorescent Lights

The topic of CFLs with X10 has been discussed before, but here is some of my current experience with them.

I have had a good experience with the 'Globe-Electric' brand of Compact Flourescent Lights with X10 lamp modules or appliance modules.

Globe-Electric has a model 07307 CFL that is compatible with Dimmers, and X10 lamp and appliance modules (no cutting of diodes required).

Also, about two months ago I picked up a standard 4 pack of Globe-electric

23W CFLs (model 48526) that do say 'not for use with dimmers' on them from a local retailer (the are carried by many companies such as Walmart in Canada). I accidently tried one with a lamp module. It worked just as well as their dimmable version.

I have found that both the 07307 and 48526 units work fine, as does dimming, and X10 noise does not appear to be a problem. I have not run the 48526 models really long (only a few weeks now), but they do work, are dimmable, don't seem to put out enough noise in the X10 frequency space (around 121khz) to cause any grief, and don't require modifications with both the appliance modules or lamp modules. The local control feature also works with them, and they don't flicker when off like some versions.

I thought I would pass along my info and see if others have tried them and if they have had any luck.

Thanks Jeff

Reply to
jr10-
Loading thread data ...

The topic of CFLs with X10 has been discussed before, but here is some of my current experience with them.

I have had a good experience with the 'Globe-Electric' brand of Compact Flourescent Lights with X10 lamp modules or appliance modules.

Globe-Electric has a model 07307 CFL that is compatible with Dimmers, and X10 lamp and appliance modules (no cutting of diodes required).

Also, about two months ago I picked up a standard 4 pack of Globe-electric 23W CFLs (model 48526) that do say 'not for use with dimmers' on them from a local retailer (the are carried by many companies such as Walmart in Canada). I accidently tried one with a lamp module. It worked just as well as their dimmable version.

I have found that both the 07307 and 48526 units work fine, as does dimming, and X10 noise does not appear to be a problem. I have not run the 48526 models really long (only a few weeks now), but they do work, are dimmable, don't seem to put out enough noise in the X10 frequency space (around 121khz) to cause any grief, and don't require modifications with both the appliance modules or lamp modules. The local control feature also works with them, and they don't flicker when off like some versions.

I thought I would pass along my info and see if others have tried them and if they have had any luck.

Thanks Jeff

Reply to
jr10-

That is an interesting discovery. The cost difference between the dimmable and non-dimmable CF is large. So finding that the non-dimmable variety works great as a dimmable is super! Does it start up successfully if you dim it up slowly from dark?

I've experimented with CF dimmable with X10 and use a GE 23W lamp. At the time, I found that some CF lamps would dim very quickly over a small portion of the dimmer range. The GE has a nice range and isn't very sensitive. However, it made the X10 dimmer deaf when the lamp was at anything other than full on or off. I had to add a Leviton filter BETWEEN the dimmer and CF lamp to retain control. You might wish to comment on the dimming range you found with your Globe lamp.

RF Dude

Reply to
RF Dude

Jeff, thanks for the tip. I may stop by the Walmart later today and see if I can find those.

Thanks,

Martin

formatting link

Reply to
AutomatedOutlet.com

The officially 'dimmable' unit (Globe-electric 07307) dims down all the way to off, and then dims up OK. Remote control is fine. I only have one unit to test, and it has a noisier ballast (buzzzz) than the 48526 unit mentioned below, even at full brightness.

The supposedly 'do not use with dimmers' model # 48526 (cool white) allowed me to dim down to about 50%, where it then drops to a small 5%, and won't go down any further. I don't have a problem with noise during the dimming.. remote control works just fine, I can dim down and up with remote. In that case, the X10 module itself buzzes faintly, even at full brightness, but I have not one yet in the few weeks of testing.

I don't use the dim feature much with the locations I put the 48526 units, so I can't comment on how long term use might impact either the bulb or the X10 lamp module... i.e.: premature death for example.

Jeff

Reply to
jr10-

I don't have any data on this, but I seem to remember that dimming a CFL bulb not designed for dimming can be a fire hazard.

Reply to
Chuck

Cabling-Design.com Forums website is not affiliated with any of the manufacturers or service providers discussed here. All logos and trade names are the property of their respective owners.