X10 signal problems...

I have a leviton 6308 X10 photocell controlling 2 landscape lighting transformers in my garage. Ever since this was installed, it has never had a problem receiving the "on" command at dusk. About 2 days a week, the lights won't turn off at dawn. At first, I thout it was the photocell at fault, and replaced it, only to have the same problem with the replacement. Then I figured that since the transformers always turn on but have trouble turning off, that the transformers may be causing line noise. They aren't suppose to since they are the coil type but I plugged them into filterlincs anyway to check, and a few days later, same problem. Then I attached filterlincs to the 2 computer strips in the house, which actually improved the signal to some other modules, but again, the transformers didn't turn off this morning. The only other electrical devices that are on overnight into morning are 3 portable heaters, 2 oil filled radiators and an older electric element type. Do these cause line noise? What else can I try? I've thought about just getting a Powerlinc (1132CU) and just configure it to send a repeated off command multiple times at dawn to increase reliability. What do you guys think?

Reply to
mike2711
Loading thread data ...

I haven't added anything new... It has never reliably turned off the transformers from the very first day of installation. I do have some additional surge protectors, along with a big screen tv that are still unfiltered though. BUT my main concern was the heaters, since the "on" commands are being received, then the heaters are turned on later in the night. Then in the morning, with the heaters still on, the "off" command has trouble. I just got off the phone with Smarthome and the tech guy said that they have heard of "off" commands having trouble even with around the clock line noise. I've never had this trouble with X10 before, I even worked at Radio Shack in the 80's (when I was a kid!) and was familiar with it back then, with no troubles...

Reply to
mike2711

Hi Bruce! Thanks for the reply. The reason I don't use the transformer photocells is because the transformers are mounted in my garage. I also wanted them to both turn on at the same time time... These are more expensive "multi-tap" transformers (designed for longer wire runs), and much better quality than anything sold at the local home improvement store. It seems like there should be a solution... They always turn on, but sometimes don't turn off. I might have to invest in one of those X10 line testers!

Reply to
mike2711

Reply to
Dave Houston

If you're running the lights from dusk to dawn consider eliminating the X10 component and just put the photocells on the transformers. Some transformers are already provisioned with photocell terminals or you could use this $13 item from Amazon (buy two and get free shipping!):

formatting link
The only reason to stick with X10 would be if you want to turn the lights off earlier. Even then, there are transformers at Home Depot (and on ebay) that have a photcell to turn it on and a selectable switch setting to turn off after "X" hours.

From: snipped-for-privacy@yahoo.com snipped-for-privacy@yahoo.com

Reply to
BruceR

OK, last night I tried a few things. I turned on the fluorescent light in the master bedroom, I was able to turn off the transformers. I then turned on the 3 portable heaters 1 by 1 and the transformers turned off every time! I don't think the Signalinc bridge will work because the controller and modules are all on one phase, in fact they are all on one circuit. I can't imagine the signal not being strong enough because the controller (photocell) on the outside is about 2 feet from one of the modules! Is it possible that the Leviton 6308 just simply isn't sending the "off" command every morning? I called Leviton and spoke with a tech guy and he said he uses the same photocell for his landscape transformers. He had the same problem and bought a Boosterlinc which resolved the issue, BUT Boosterlincs are about $100 and that's an expensive gamble! Is it possible the Leviton doesn't output a strong enough signal? When it does send the "off" command it does control a module upstairs on the other side of the house though, so how could it be a weak signal? Any ideas?

Reply to
mike2711

An additional test would be to add another x10 module set to the same settings as the problem module, plugged in close (electrically) to the controlling unit.Does it respond the same, or does it work better? If it works right, then you know the signal is getting sent.

Are the controller and receiver on different phases of the power?

Bob

Reply to
Bob

Hi Bob! The module which is actually an X10 receptacle is about 2 feet from the controller BUT in doing some more reading, I realized the photocell, which was installed in place of an outdoor outlet, might be passing through a GFCI outlet in the garage before it gets to any modules.... This is the next thing to check but from what I read, most people don't have problems with X10 signals getting through GFCI outlets.

Reply to
mike2711

Hi Bruce! I haven't tried that since the problem is intermittent. I have tried a filterlinc on each transformer and had the same problem, so my guess is that the transformers aren't generating noise or attenuating the signal. Whenever the transformer modules fail to turn off, a module upstairs set on the same code also fails to turn off...

Reply to
mike2711

Just checked and the controller is not sending the signal through a GFCI outlet....

Reply to
mike2711

Mike, What happens if the transformer is unplugged and just the module is left plugged in?

Reply to
BruceR

That it sends "on" reliably and "off" intermittantly is pretty bizarre to me. Anyone have an electrical explanation for this? Perhaps something about increased load/noise on the other side of the GFCI when the transformers are on?

Reply to
E. Lee Dickinson

My error...What I meant to say is that it's not hooked up to a GFCI....the problem still exists!

Reply to
mike2711

Bingo! A different brand/newer one might help.

Reply to
BruceR

Hmmm... back to the thinking cap. I assume you've swapped modules? What happens if you attach a socket to the box where the sensor is and plug in a controller? If the controller works then it would be a weak transmission from the sensor. A Boosterlinc might solve the problem and if it doesn't you can return it. I have a couple of them and they do indeed work.

Reply to
BruceR

Do you guys think the Leviton is just simply not sending the "off" signal in the morning?

Reply to
mike2711

It's certainly possible.

Reply to
BruceR

This morning the transformers failed to turn off. I took a module which was in the "off" position and plugged one of the transformers in, using the same house code, in a powered outlet. So at this point I had one transformer on and one transformer off. If the Leviton sent the "off" command at dawn, once I trick the photocell to think it was dark it should have sent the "on" command to the module. It didn't. Once I uncovered the photocell, it sent the "off" command. So.....the Leviton

6308 photocell doesn't reliably send the "off" command every morning! I've wasted some money on filters, etc. I guess my alternative is just to use an X10 timer (not very practical) or a Powerlinc 1132CU (more practical). Are these reliable? I have read where they don't keep accurate time, etc. I had bad experiences with the CM11 in the past...
Reply to
mike2711

IIRC, the *Eye series of PIRs from X-10 have a photocell that detects dawn and dusk. They can be mounted indoors near a window or you can get an externally sealed one (highly recommended. It takes a lot of silicone sealant to really seal an indoor X-10 PIR for outside use.

Not sure if this will help you s To turn lights on when it gets dark. The MS13A sends signals when it detects dusk and dawn so it can turn a light on when it gets dark and turn it off when it gets light (in addition to turning lights on when it detects motion). To have it turn a light on at dusk and off at dawn plug the light into an X10 Module and set it to the same Housecode as the MS13A and to a Unit Code that is one number higher than the Unit Code of the module that turns on when motion is detected. I.E. if the MS13A turns on A1 when it detects motion, it will turn on A2 when it gets dark and turn it off when it gets light.

-- Bobby G.

Reply to
Robert Green

Cabling-Design.com Forums website is not affiliated with any of the manufacturers or service providers discussed here. All logos and trade names are the property of their respective owners.