X10 Remote (Transceiver) Module Strength

Hey guys.

I have the X10 CM11a computer module, and it is able to control everything in my house fine. However, I have a lamp module upstairs, and my remote (transceiver) module (RR501) is downstairs. When I use the remote control, it won't turn the light on/off upstairs. What do I need to do to boost the strength? Can I simply purchase another transceiver module and put it upstairs. Will this cause a problem with two on the same housecode? Any help would greatly be appreciated.

Thanks.

Reply to
craigdt-online
Loading thread data ...

First, determine whether your problem is related to RF range or to PLC signal strength (or phase coupling) issues.

Can you hear the relay click on/off when you press that button on your remote? If so, the RF range is probably OK.

The RR501 PLC output is about twice that of the CM11A so it is unlikely to be a PLC signal strength issue.

formatting link
That means it's most likey that the RR501 is plugged into the opposite phase from the upstairs lamp module. If you find an outlet upstairs that is on the right phase and use another transceiver there it's unlikely their signals will cross phases to interfere with each other. If they do, the effects are not much of a problem - mostly you will see duplicate commands which are only a problem for dim/bright or for macro triggers.

formatting link
formatting link

formatting link
snipped-for-privacy@yahoogroups.com

Reply to
Dave Houston

I should add that there is another possibility. You might have something that is acting as a signal sink, attenuating the X-10 signal in the (electrical) neighborhood of the upstairs lamp module. This is unlikely, since you say you can control it from the CM11A, but it's the type of problem that is hard to track down without a signal strength meter like the ESM1.

Try piggy-backing the RR501 on the passthrough outlet of the CM11A to see if it's a phase issue.

formatting link
snipped-for-privacy@yahoogroups.com

Reply to
Dave Houston

Cabling-Design.com Forums website is not affiliated with any of the manufacturers or service providers discussed here. All logos and trade names are the property of their respective owners.