X10 questions

I have a bunch of X10 stuff installed and it is flaky.

Problem #1:

Some parts of the house can't be controlled from some equipment etc.

The below will solve the problem, correct?

formatting link

Problem #2:

I have a series of the X10 Slimline switches which, since they don't plug in to anything, must actually be small RF remotes, correct? These switches are flaky, I'm guessing because the signal is inconsistent. Would the following help?

formatting link
Does this thing affect macros that include RF commands? If so, the only reason I use RF commands in macros is the problem in #1 above, so that's should not be an issue any more, correct.

Reply to
Paul
Loading thread data ...

Maybe depends on your problems. Maybe you need filters?

Buy a WGL all house code RF transceiver

Reply to
Brian

#1: It really depends on the root cause(s) of the problem. It may be poor coupling between phases, it may be that you have devices which are signal sinks (i.e. that attenuate the 120kHz X-10 signal), it may be noise on the powerline, or it may be a combination of two or more of these. Get an ESM1 signal strength meter. It will help you determine the cause(s) without so much guesswork. AutomatedOutlet.com will even loan you an ESM1.

formatting link
#2: Cut a piece of stiff wire (e.g. from a coat hanger) ~18" l>I have a bunch of X10 stuff installed and it is flaky.

Reply to
Dave Houston

X-No-archive: yes On Sat, 31 Dec 2005 11:29:48 GMT, snipped-for-privacy@whocares.com (Dave Houston) used recycled pixels to say:

{snipped}

Now how the heck did someone discover that neat little trick?!

#%#%#%#%#%#%#%#%#%#%#%#%#%#%#%#%#%#%#%#%#

mailto:postmaster@127.0.0.1

Reply to
The Alien

It just popped into my head one day when I was upgrading the foil liner in my helmet. ;)

Actually, there were two people (whose names I cannot recall) who posted here about this. One said he had gotten better range from a transmitter that was suspended by a length of wire and another suggested a half wavelength wire saying it was a parasitic element a la a Yagi antenna.

I tested it and found it did indeed work quite well. One of the BX24-AHT users (Larry Nielsen) had access to a lab and measured a 10dB increase in all directions. Larry also reported over 200' range with an eggbeater antenna and wideband preamp on the receiver end. (I can no longer walk well enough to conduct long range tests.)

The wire can also be vertical and one BX24-AHT user put two small holes behind the transmitter and put the wire behind the drywall for higher SAF.

Reply to
Dave Houston

I can imagine the average spouse's response to lengths of coathanger taped to the walls: Either call the men in white coats or the divorce attorney!

Wasn't there also a guy who got better range by operating his credit card remote tucked under his chin?

-- Bobby G.

Reply to
Robert Green

Well there's actually some scientific basis for that. The average human skull is about the right size to form a 1/4 wave resonant cavity. The emptier the cavity, the better it's reported to work.

Reply to
Dave Houston

Cabling-Design.com Forums website is not affiliated with any of the manufacturers or service providers discussed here. All logos and trade names are the property of their respective owners.