X10 PC Interface upgrade

CFLs seem to have problems with most modules because of the sensing current. I have 2 lamps with CFLs connected to one appliance module. When off, one of the lamps dimly flickers periodically from the sensing current ... funny, the other doesn't. I think there are ways to modify the modules to remove the sensing current, but I'm not sure. I probably should use one of my modified Universal Modules for these lamps. They are modified to bring out line voltage to a female connector on a short cord. The screw terminals were removed.

As I said, I'll probably stay with XP on my laptop, to it can be used with the

1132. I would like to find a cheap copy of the Manager Plus software to do some if/thens that I can't do now. I refuse to pay SH for software for their crippled product unless they were to fix things .... which will never happen.
Reply to
Art Todesco
Loading thread data ...

I have an appliance module with the sensing current mod that works fine with multiple CFL's.

Reply to
Bob F

Hm, it looks like they still have a problem with that.

Well, that's what's been bothering me, too: their software was last updated in 2004! Not a good recommendation for me. So I went ahead and ordered a CM15A from ActiveHomes as that seems to be a more current interface, including its software. I'll see if that works out for me.

Reply to
Dabbler

I'm not sure I understand the question. And, I'll have to answer no, because I know little about the CM11. Doesn't the CM111 require the computer to do all the work, i.e. is it just an interface, right?

Reply to
Art Todesco

CM11 was an early successor to CP290 which you could program from a PC Windows program through serial connection but could run it off the PC with those stored instructions in the CM11.

Reply to
Dabbler

Art,

The CM11 does not need the computer to work. I upload the timer events to it. I rarely use that comp any more other then to update the time in the CM11

Rich W.

Art Todesco wrote:

Reply to
Rich Wonneberger

Dabbler,

So if Art went from a CP290 to the 1132 and the CM11 succeeded the CP290 there may be a chance the 1132 can replace the CM11?

TIA Rich W.

Dabbler wrote:

Reply to
Rich Wonneberger

Yes, though CM11 used to connect to the PC through serial port, the

1132CU through USB. Way back when CM11 came out I tried to use it but I could never get its serial connection work reliably. It often froze my PC during uploading and then I just dumped the darn thing. It might had to do something with the fact that CM11 was designed for two-way X10 modules which I did not have. It's been a long time ago and I don't recall all the details now.
Reply to
Dabbler

Win 2k to Win7

Reply to
Uniden

That definitely looks like it would fit my bill much better.

I would be interested in hearing more about your experiences with this product.

I assume this software does conditional processing. They appear to call it "macros" instead of logic or conditionals.

Win 2k to Win7

Reply to
Josepi

Only for macros though. The CM11 will not store any conditional commands and that makes it kind of useless for me.

I wrote software for the CM11 but I could never get past the packet descriptions for the reset data coming out of the thing. I gave up years ago with the hope to get back at it again. I figure there was some commercial drivers written that would be an easier place to start with, next time...or next life maybe?...LOL

The CM11 does not need the computer to work. I upload the timer events to it. I rarely use that comp any more other then to update the time in the CM11

Rich W.

Art Todesco wrote:

Reply to
Josepi

What about the 64-bit Win7?

Reply to
Dabbler

Cabling-Design.com Forums website is not affiliated with any of the manufacturers or service providers discussed here. All logos and trade names are the property of their respective owners.