X10 noise issue

Hi All, I thought I had solved a sudden change in X10 behavior, however, it seems to be getting worse. I thought I traced it down to a battery charger which definitely had an effect, but that doesn't seem to be the case anymore. The problem is that some "talker" can't get to "listener" but can get to others. One channel (a wall switch module) just seems to turn on randomly. It is then very difficult to turn it off via X10. You have to actually use the wall switch. BTW, earlier in the day I could turn it on from one of the 16 button manual controller, however, some times it would take 2 or 3 tries before it would succeed. It seems to change from hour to hour ... seems worse in the evening, best in the morning and mid afternoon. Can noise be coming in from outside the house? Does anyone have an experience with the so-called whole house noise blocker/couplers like Smarthome PZZ01? This is starting to drive us nuts! Any help would be greatly appreciated.

Reply to
Art Todesco
Loading thread data ...

Yes, noise can come from any neighbor on the same street transformer. Baby Monitors are notorious for this kind of problem. Any new babies nearby? Do you have a repeater/coupler? That will go a long way to solving the problem. The whole house blocker will help only if the problem is from outside and is a PITA to install as you have the pull the neutral off the bus bar and put it through the blocker. Either have an electrician do that or kill the power AT THE METER. If there's no main cutoff at the meter then physically pull the meter out of its socket. Try looking for other sources in the house and filter as required. Also, before doing anything else, try changing the bulb in the light you're having a problem with. Sometimes a bulb that's about to fail can cause problems.

Reply to
BruceR

Did you ever solve this. I am having exactly the same issue. At around

10am modules start reacting intermittently and it clears up around 7pm. It is so bad that if I plug the controller into a wall module that is 1/2 controlled and the other 1/2 hot wired it would still not controll the switched side of the module. I believe this interferance must be coming from a nieghbors house. Any thoughts?

------------------------------------- Art Todesco wrote:

##-----------------------------------------------##

Article posted with Cabling-Design.com Newsgroup Archive

formatting link
no-spam read and post WWW interface to your favorite newsgroup -

comp.home.automation - 5224 messages and counting!

Reply to
jmccros

I am having the same problem. Modules do not work much between 10am and

7pm. I have not even been able to turn off a socket that is 1/2 controlled and the other 1/2 live power when I plug my controller into the live side. I feel there must be some outside interferance. Did you ever resolve this issue?

------------------------------------- Art Todesco wrote:

Article posted with Cabling-Design.com Newsgroup Archive

formatting link
no-spam read and post WWW interface to your favorite newsgroup -

comp.home.automation - 5224 messages and counting!

Reply to
jmccros

Buy an ELK ESM1. If you don't want to spend the $50-60 then

formatting link
will loan you one. It will eliminate the guesswork.

What appliances or other devices do you have that might >Did you ever solve this. I am having exactly the same issue. At around

Reply to
Dave Houston

If there's nothing in your house running specifically during those hours (pool pump?) it could also be a neighbor's plug-in wireless baby monitor/intercom. Any new babies next door?

From:jmccros jim.mccroskey_at_dexmedia_dot snipped-for-privacy@foo.com

Reply to
BruceR

Cabling-Design.com Forums website is not affiliated with any of the manufacturers or service providers discussed here. All logos and trade names are the property of their respective owners.