X10 Control Question

I have an automation controller that can control powerline X10 devices by connecting a Power Line Interface (PL513 or TW523) with a supplied cable with RJ11 connectors on each end that plug between my automation controller and powerline interface module.

Now the query, what serial communication protocol is used between the PL513 and my automation controller. Reason is that I do not really want to control using the powerline option due to reliability issues - rather connect say a Rain8 X10 device (that is normally connected to the powerline via TW523 like my automation controller) directly by cable to my automation controller. Indeed can you daisy chain say two Rain8 or more X10 devices (with different X10 addresses) on a single cable like you can RS485 serial.

BTW - the Rain8 is a device that provides 8 analogue switched outputs under X10 control for sprinkler control. It seems logical to my mind that you should be able to directly connect the automation controller and the Rain8 - as both use the Powerline Interface Modules to communicate via the power line carriier.

Hope some expert in X10 can help.

Reply to
hi ho
Loading thread data ...

Further to my post - the rain8 is meant to work with an XM-10 power line interface, I think my controller uses a TW523 Powerline interface. I also note mention of a CM11 interface. I hope this extra info helps. As an X10 newby, what is the difference between a CM11, a cM12, a PL513 and TW 523 powerline interfaces ?

Thanks in anticipation

Reply to
hi ho

CM11 is a two ways ASCII to powerline interface and has the ability to execute in "stand-alone" (without being connected to a PC) stored macro. For me CM12 is a synonym of CM11 (but should be confirmed by true guru).

PL513 is a one way powerline interface (sending). This interface has no "logic" inside. It means that he is unable to convert one protocol to an other or store and execute macro like the previous one. At least, three wires are required. Ground, Zero detection which provide a pulse when the 0V point is detectect on the 110V sine curve, and TX, which pulse an X10 "bit" (5V) when TX is high. All these cable are insulated from the powerline through optocoupler. As you guess, trying to program the correct "pulse" sequence to send X10 command (in binary) could be a hard work and is not (at my point of view) suitable for communicating between PC-MAC programs and powerline but more dedicate to interface your own electronic (like PIC controller) with PLC.

TW523 is a two ways version of the PL513 (means could act as recevier and sender).

Just for info, CM11 implement something looking like a "collision detection" protocol, which increase the overall reliability of X10. TW523 does not and seems to be unable to provide this functionality to the upper application layer).

Hope it helps

Thierry

hi ho wrote:

outputs

Reply to
tparent

Reply to
Paul Peard

I think CM12 is "European" CM11 - at least that's what I have read.

Reply to
Paul Peard

Cabling-Design.com Forums website is not affiliated with any of the manufacturers or service providers discussed here. All logos and trade names are the property of their respective owners.