X10 Cameras PLEASE HELP

I really need a low level home survailance system.

I was thinking of 2 of the motion detecting flood light color cam setups from x10. Plus a low light level B&W Xcam The XRay Software Maybe the home automation software

It looks like i could get the setup i want for between 280 and 380.

Please share your experiences with me on these products if you have time. I just dont want to blow the money if there is another option.

I like them being wireless obviously, but if it sucks then its obviously not worth it.

Thanks for sharing.

Reply to
Jazzer
Loading thread data ...

Can anyone help? I almost ordered today, but didnt want too until someone helped ... ;)

Reply to
Jazzer

Hi Jazzer, I bought 3 cameras from X10, 2 Xcam2 and one low light B/N. I'm very dissapointed with the cameras. There're a lot of problems related to the signal strenght and how the cameras switch the images. After a lor of work and 2 emails to the support staff the cameras worked when conected to the TV, but the software of X10 sucks, really. The image on the tv looks good but not on the PC, I don't know if it's because of my screen resolution (1280x1024) so the image doesn't look good whe I resize it to 640x480 or so. I'll keep trying fining these problems, but I feel X10 stole me and I just want to sell those cameras and buy another solution.

Hope you make the right choice. Bye

Sorry for my english. :)

Reply to
Sampy

PD: I also bought 2 Ninja Pan Tilts, they are nice, but If the camera is too far from the receiver (more than 5-10 meters), I noticed the following problem: It's recommeded that the antena is always facing to the video receiver, As the antena is attached to the camera, when it rotates too much sometimes the signal get week, and also when it rotates the receiver don't get the signal, you can watch the image on the tv when the ninja stops. (This is when the camera is far from the receiver, when I try to put the receiver and camera on the same room works well). Another thing I notice, once I connected a wireless router, they work at 2.4GHz, the same frequency of the video signal. The router cause a huge interference on the video signal, so be aware of that!

Reply to
Sampy

Sampy

Thanks .. thats very helpful. I was suspicious of the quality of the X10 cameras. I am now researching wireless web server cameras. 801.g wireless cameras. I am hoping those will work a little better.....

If you have any experience with those, I would love some recomendations. I need somehting for a driveway and maybe something for the front of the house.

Jazzer.

Reply to
Jazzer

My fried bought a D-Link as a Christmas present and I'll be honest the features are lacking. There is no security, I'm not sure I can set a channel and it's interface is pretty lacking. The camera appears to be OK but I haven't been able to put it through it's paces. I have a PSK-WEP setup (AES) and I now need to setup a second WAP to support the D-Link.

BTW, I think this is an older model a DCS-900W. Oh and I still appreciate the gift, my friend is not an networking expert so he's not at fault. I'll just throw an older 802.11b wireless router on the LAN to handle the D-Link.

Reply to
Neil Cherry

Reply to
Gemini

Cabling-Design.com Forums website is not affiliated with any of the manufacturers or service providers discussed here. All logos and trade names are the property of their respective owners.