X10 and GFI's

I was getting out the holiday lights this weekend, and something occurred to me...

Where I live, outside outlets must have GFI. If I plug in an x10 module to a GFI outlet, are the things plugged into the module still GFI protected?

I guess the same question about a plug in time (photocell - dusk-dawn), etc...

Reply to
J Miller
Loading thread data ...

J Miller wrote in news:492aaf40$0$33215$ snipped-for-privacy@news.qwest.net:

The GFI protects anything plugged directly into it, and anything downstream from that. For example, if your lights are plugged into a triple tap that is plugged into an extension cord that is plugged into an X-10 module that is plugged into a GFI, all of these items are protected by the GFI.

Note 1: It may be more correct to say that a person handling the X-10 module, the extension cord, the triple tap, or the lights is GFI protected.

Note 2: This assumes of course that the GFI is wired correctly and in good condition.

Note 3: Testing the GFI is a good thing to do, but not conclusive. Some GFI ouotlets if miswired will still test properly but may fail to function appropriately. Others have a feature that will keep them from supplying power to a load unless properly wired.

However... Some GFI devices will pass the X-10 communications signal through, and others do not. You will have to try it and see if it works for you. It is not a black vs white situation either. Your success may depend upon other factors, such as how much input signal the X-10 module requires, and how much output signal your X-10 transmitter produces.

DISCLAIMER: I have done electronics design for over 30 years, and have experience with X-10 (both good and bad). However, I am not licensed as a Professional Engineer. I am not licensed as an electrician.

Reply to
Ian Shef

Cabling-Design.com Forums website is not affiliated with any of the manufacturers or service providers discussed here. All logos and trade names are the property of their respective owners.