X-10 controllers for use with Apple II

I'm setting up a remote device control system using three Apple II computers linked with Nadanet. I've been looking at the X-10 control programs the Apple II uses, and I'm interested in using a CP290 (or something similar) attached to an SSC in one of the slaves for proof- of-concept. X-10 is a new area for me, and I was hoping some of you experienced guys could recommend (or maybe sell me) a compatible controller. Ideally, what I'd like is a device I could directly start and stop with either Prodos or Applesoft commands. I'd be using the controller with a single module connected to an electric motor.

Reply to
mswaine
Loading thread data ...

Why?

Reply to
Bill Kearney

Now that's a good question. If you are familiar with Apple II networking, you know that making A2s talk directly to each other has always been a problem. Nadanet is a relatively new network standard which allows this kind of communication, but the practical applications of the system have really never been explored. In the long run, what I want is the ability to send a program from machine A to machine B, and have that program remotely control a stepper motor via a 6522 card. If everything worked properly, I could possibly add an A/D card, etc. Lots of possibilities.

Anyway, the CP290 seems like a good way to experiment with what can and cannot be done with remote Nadanet commands prior to geting into the more expensive and complex 6522 controller. I have various X-10 programs on one of my Apple HDs, and have read interesting stuff about control of X-10 devices through my Novation Applecat modem. It seems an avenue worth exploring,

As far as a practical use (like turning on a lawn sprinkler) I don't have one. Like most A2 fanatics, I have a hard time explaining why I'm committing time and resources to pushing out the capacities of twenty- year old computers, but hey, I don't understand why people collect stamps

Reply to
mswaine

I was very familiar with them, two decades ago.

10kbps ain't exactly networking. Cripes, semaphore flags would nearly be faster.
1200 half duplex? Ah, I remember those.

Stamps, at least, have some resale value.

Reply to
Bill Kearney

Cabling-Design.com Forums website is not affiliated with any of the manufacturers or service providers discussed here. All logos and trade names are the property of their respective owners.