wireless audio -- stripped down

How about a used SqueezeBox 1 from eBay. Put a piece of tape over the display.

Reply to
Pat Farrell
Loading thread data ...

Apple's AirTunes or the Squeezebox are the two likely contenders. There's really not anything out that focuses on just being a wireless line-out. Most probably because there aren't enough potential users for something /that/ basic. There's something to be said for having the ability to control the stream from the device (a la Squeezebox). Few likely customers are savvy enough to be able to figure out the necessary hassles of using something like a PocketPC, Pronto or other wireless remotes that would obviate the need to have local control on it. Then there's the complexities of zoned output, few 'servers' support this effectively. At least, not yet.

Don't ignore an alternative, use an FM transmitter to push it out on an FM channel and tune to it with a plain old FM radio. I've got one plugs into the USB port and appears as a 'sound card' under Windows. I drive it via J. River's Media Center 11. Works great for piping audio outside to shed during outside yardwork. Headphone's pick it up as does the ratty-ass old clock radio that now lives in the shed. That and it's no susceptible to WiFi interference or congestion.

This is like the one I've got:

formatting link
But that's just one example. YMMV.

Some work better than others, distance-wise. You're basically running a low-power radio station so it's not like it's supposed to have much distance.

-Bill Kearney

Reply to
wkearney99

I'd like to stream wireless audio through my apartment, and there seem to be a ton of products by linksys, squeezebox, etc. for doing this. While these are nice, they all tend to have lots of frills that jack up the price -- ID3 tag display, trendy scandinavian design standards. I'm basically looking for something that will convert an audio signal streamed over my wireless network into a line-level audio signal (amplification optional) -- does something like this exist?

Reply to
IRR

Reply to
hstotland

Reply to
hstotland

Hi try

formatting link
and have a look to the EXSTREAMER section I think the extreamer is what you are looking for. They have different models: one is wireless, one is with amplified output (20W 8ohm) and another one is with stereo line out. All have ethernet port and can only stream MP3 flow. I''m now using with success a extreamer gold (the one with the amplifier) to stream MP3 on my apartement. Each room have one ..just add 2 speakers.. The server will be a PC with command cubes. If you need more info you can subscribe to their forum based on yahoo groups. CIAO Davide

"IRR" ha scritto nel messaggio news:0EU3f.969$q%. snipped-for-privacy@newssvr12.news.prodigy.com...

Reply to
Davide Bergan

Cabling-Design.com Forums website is not affiliated with any of the manufacturers or service providers discussed here. All logos and trade names are the property of their respective owners.