Will a Terk Leapfrog IR extender work with X10 Powermid?

Are these two products compatible? That is, do they use the same frequency? I'd like to buy a Terk transmitter if it will work with my existing X10 Powermid receiver.

Thanks in advance for the info...

Reply to
rechumor
Loading thread data ...

The Terk model number is (I guess) LF-IRX:

formatting link
The Powermid is RE549.

Reply to
rechumor

In North America the Powermids use 418MHz. While most Terk units also use

418MHz I am not sure that all do - I vaguely recall seeing some that used another frequency.

Do you have a model number? Terk manuals often list the frequency. If you know the FCC ID number you can determ>Are these two products compatible? That is, do they use the same

Reply to
Dave Houston

According to...

formatting link
Terk is 433.92MHz so they are >The Terk model number is (I guess) LF-IRX:

Reply to
Dave Houston

Do you think there would be any way to alter the frequency to 418MHz? I only ask because the Terk model is the only one I've seen that runs on batteries.

Or, alternatively, would it be possible to alter the Powermid to work at 433MHz?

Reply to
rechumor

It's impossible to say without seeing the units or a schematic but I think it's unlikely that this would prove practical since you would need to alter both the transmitter and receiver.

Ask the advice of the web site I referenced earlier. They are quite knowledgeable.

snipped-for-privacy@data>Do you think there would be any way to alter the frequency to 418MHz?

Reply to
Dave Houston

Ahhh. I was thinking you wanted to use both the Terk transmitter and receiver. I went back and reread your initial post and it's clear that you just want to use the transmitter.

If the Terk transmitter is SAW controlled, changing the SAW resonator to

418MHz will likely be sufficient. But, you really need to see the unit to tell whether it's SAW controlled and whether it's practical to change the SAW resonator. If the SAW is surface mounted, it may require specialized equipment to desolder it.

Or, it may be that the RF transmitter is a separate module made by a third party (which is comm>Do you think there would be any way to alter the frequency to 418MHz?

Reply to
Dave Houston

Thanks for the info, Dave. The unit should arrive tomorrow, or the next day. I'll post back if I figure it out.

Reply to
rechumor

If you get a schematic or can provide _clear_ pictures, I may be able to help.

Reply to
Dave Houston

Cabling-Design.com Forums website is not affiliated with any of the manufacturers or service providers discussed here. All logos and trade names are the property of their respective owners.