web interface for HA - x10?

Hi All, Thinking of dipping my toe into HA as a geek hobby. However, what I'm particularly interested in is control over the internet via a web browser. I've not yet seen an ethernet->x10 embedded webserver/ controller - do these exist? X10 appeals due to lack of need for running cables and so I'd have thought it'd be trivial to buy a controller that plugs into my home router to do this - am I just searching for the wrong term as I've not found any non-homebrew ones?

Ric

Reply to
Ric
Loading thread data ...

There are several ways to do this. One possibility is the M1G system from Elk Products, a home automation and security controller with an add-on card for Internet access. The M1G supports X10 as well as wired and wireless (RF) lighting and automation protocols. It's also a UL listed residential alarm controller. You might also consider the HAI Omni series controllers with similar features.

I sell ELK Products online so I have a bias in their favor.

Reply to
Robert L Bass

My recommendation would be the Universal Devices

formatting link
ISY-99 or, for a super bargain, a refurb ISY-26 for only $99!). Both will do exactly what you're looking to do and are both X10 and Insteon compatible. They plug into your router and serve web pages directly to you. X10 is a great way to get started and learn but, in time you'll prefer a more robust signaling protocol such as Insteon, UPB or Z-Wave. Of those three, Insteon devices have the benefit of being backward compatible (sort of!) with an existing X10 investment.

Reply to
BruceR

Hi Ric,

Personally, I use Misterhouse (

formatting link
) I know it is not an embedded device but you can get very small PC's these days. Runs on Linux and Windows. And yes it's free.

Here is what I do with it - X10 Control - Lights, Appliances, RF Movement sensors, Vehicle Announcers. CallerID - From the normal PSTN phone line OSD - On Screen Display. Every TV in the house has Ch4 as the HA channel. Displaying Date/Time, Weather, CallerID from the phone and MP3 Piped music around the house Voice annoucements on the house PA. I.e. "Louise's Car Arriving"

1Wire Interface for Lighting and Movement sensor interfacing

All of the above uses MisterHouse as the main controller.

Neil.

Reply to
NWE

hicle =A0 =A0 =A0 =A0 =A0

the HA =A0 =A0 =A0 =A0

=A0 =A0 =A0 =A0 =A0 =A0 =A0 =A0 the phone and MP3

Thank you all, some excellent starting points for me. If it makes any difference, this is for UK use, i.e. 240V AC. At the moment I'm in solution-in-search-of-a-problem mode as I just want to play with it rather than solve a particular issue.

Cheers all. Ric

Reply to
Ric

Cabling-Design.com Forums website is not affiliated with any of the manufacturers or service providers discussed here. All logos and trade names are the property of their respective owners.