Web Enabled Time/Temp/Humidity and I/O Controller

You figure it's a good idea to murder women and children for the "crime" of looking for work in the USA? I suppose your ancestors were not immigrants. Perhaps you're actually the Daring Arapaho?

Robert

Reply to
Robert L Bass
Loading thread data ...

Oh my God, another person who doesn't understand what an "illegal invader" is. If you knew there were land mines across a piece of land that was illegal for you to cross, would you set foot on that land anyway? I think news of the mines would get out pretty quickly especially with all the warning signs and little bits and pieces of criminal invaders everywhere. If they want a better life, why don't they fix Mexico? By the way, my ancestors came to the United States LEGALLY!

TDD

Reply to
The Daring Dufas

For the hobbiest...

formatting link

Reply to
propman

In article , snipped-for-privacy@BassBurglarAlarms.com (Robert L Bass) writes: | "RickH" wrote: | >

| > The problem is WOL still requires you to have at least one computer already | > powered up... | | O solved that with my web servers about 10 years ago using a power strip with | an IP connection. Using any browser I could power up, down or reset up to 8 | different devices, one at time or all at once, depending on the command. The | IP address was not listed with the DNS and was not part of my main sequence | (to keep nasties away). Once online I a username & password brought up the | menu. | | The device was more costly than the unit in consideration but it could | eliminate your problem of needing to leave one machine up and running all the | time. My new Dell servers have built-in IP-controlled power and reside behind | a hardware firewall so the unit is no longer needed. | | I gave it to a helpful participant in AHA some years ago. I don't recall but | it *may* have been Marc H. I'm certain these thing are less expensive now | than a dozen years ago when I bought it since they're very simple devices. If | Marc has it, perhaps he can tell you the manufacturer, which I've long since | forgotten. | | Meanwhile, there's an outfit called Dataprobe

formatting link
in New | Jersey that makes several similar models. Another place, Bomara, makes a | 2-unit IP strip for about $200.
formatting link
See also:

formatting link
(4 outlets; $79.99)

Dan Lanciani ddl@danlan.*com

Reply to
Dan Lanciani

I've had a dual CPU, dual power supply RAID'ed server and decided it had to go once I put a power meter on it and realized it was drawing nearly 200 watts. I found some used laptops on Ebay, some hi-capacity USB drives and have dropped the overall consumption to less than 20 watts without sacrificing too much performance. The laptops paid for themselves in short order with the way electric rates have been climbing in the DC area.

It's no longer RAID'ed, although I could have gone that way, but that's not too much of an issue with good backup procedures in place. It's not like I'm supporting some huge SQL database that needs to serve hundreds of users. As long as it can support full motion HD video, I'm a happy camper, especially at one tenth the cost of the previous solution. Best part is that I no longer need a UPS since the laptop will run for 2 hours on its own battery if the power dies. The next jump in power savings will be switch to a NAS device where I might be able to achieve a savings of the same magnitude as switching from a tower PC to a laptop.

I've just ordered some Honeywell humidity sensors for the "WebCon" project. The lowest price I found was a Canadian seller on Ebay for $14 each. Now I am going to look for the One-wire temperature sensors, since that's one of the unit's most appealing feature (to me, anyway): the support of eight temp sensors. An Ebay vendor in Hong Kong has them for 10 for $20.59 with free shipping. Also bought a packet of diodes and some 6 volt relays to investigate the unit's ability to switch high-voltage devices. I may want to opto-isolate those connections. I must admit, this feels like the grown-up version of Tinkertoys! (-:

-- Bobby G.

Reply to
Robert Green

Sure I do. That would be George W. Bush in Iraq.

If your ancestors didn't know that some xenophobic moron had planted land mines when they tried to come here would you be alive today?

After you murder a few hundred people that might happen but lots of people would still take the chance and some would die. Most of these people's only "crime" is looking for a better life. I think we need people who want to work and build a life here. We could make more room for them by sending folks like you to work for the dictators whose countries they are fleeing.

Only because there were few, if any laws against immigration back then. Some of my family came here from the Ukraine, fleeing the Czar in 1903. Those who didn't were all murdered by the Nazis.

Many of the people who come across the Mexican border are fleeing tyrannical regimes in some Latin American countries. Others are fleeing the tyranny of the drug cartels which are making life in Mexico even more intolerable for decent people. What we need is reasoned and workable immigration statutes -- not jackass ideas about how to kill unsuspecting migrant workers... or people like you.

Reply to
Robert L Bass

Yep. I came over in 2007 - process took about a 8 months, lots of paperwork, lots of fees (it'll end up being about $4000 when I'm all done I think, and I didn't have lawyer fees on top of that like most do).

The process costs a lot more than a lot of illegals can afford - even assuming a legal route is open to them, which it won't be in most cases. I can understand immigration issues on both sides of the fence - but killing folk whos only crime is wanting a better life elsewhere is really not the right answer...

Reply to
Jules

What part of warning signs don't you understand? The prison systems has high voltage electric fences at some of the prisons and there are people locked up in there because they violated some law even if it's a silly law. The simple fact is, those crossing the border without going through the legal steps are violating the law and are criminals, simple. If you rob a bank because you want to feed your children and just want a better life, you are still a criminal. Oh yea, I forgot, if I call someone who breaks the law a criminal and their skin is darker than mine, that makes me a racist. GEEZ!

TDD

Reply to
The Daring Dufas

$4,000? I hope that's for more than the green card (which was never green, BTW). We did our own paperwork for my wife and IIRC, ut came to less than $2K. That was in 2004-5.

From what some folks in Congress had been speaking about, the recent idea is to require illegal aliens to pay a fine, go home and then go through a pre-approved process for legal re-entry. The problem for many illegals is all of that will be beyond their financial means. We were fortunate in that my wife was here legally on a 5-year, renewable visa when we met. She and her family had been coming back and forth for many years as they always had visas. That comes with the territory for Brazilians who are fortunate enough to have a good job and their own homes in Brazil. The rest can't even come for a weekend visit. :^(

I have many hispanic and Brazilian friends here in the USA and in South America (I've been down there 14 times since 2001) and nearly half of them can't gain legal entry to the USA. I'd love to see a more open door policy but that's probably a few years off. We'll see.

Reply to
Robert L Bass

What part of, "We don't need your hate-filled trash here" don't you understand. Go away, little man.

No, but the fact that you brought up skin color without anyone else saying a word about it is a dead giveaway.

Reply to
Robert L Bass

wIT PASSPORT AND ENTRY VIS?

hmmmm, With passport and entry visa? You sound like a red neck. I earned a right to reside in USA working for your government sticking my neck out in dangerous places. No thanks, I am happy up here.

Reply to
Tony Hwang

I think fees all went up since then - that's also including long trips back and forth for medicals, embassy appointments, biometrics etc. which of course do depend on your location as to how expensive they are (although I think the medical alone was $400).

I'm getting toward the end of my 2 year conditional residency, and I think it's about $1000 for the paperwork to change that into a full green card. Then citizenship comes later (I realise that's optional!) and is doubtless similarly costly...

Yep. It's expensive and slow - but at the same time I can totally understand a country wanting to lock down its borders. I've just got issues with use of deadly force to patrol those borders, though...

Aha, OK... my wife's a USC - met her in 2005 on a trip over here and then went back and forth on the VWP for the next couple of years before kicking off all the paperwork.

Certainly would be nice just for visitors and maybe an increase of stay from the 90 days of the VWP.

cheers

Jules

Reply to
Jules

If my PC has no power applied to it how can it possibly "listen" to anything. I want it completely powered off, not on standby.

Reply to
RickH

I'm not surprised that the cost has risen.

IIRFC, we didn't have that pahse. Because my wife was already here on a visa when we married, we just applied for the green card. It took about 18 months back then though I think it may differ depending on country of origin, current circumstances, etc.

My cousin's wife (coincidentally, also from Brazil) recently became a citizen. Her cost was mainly for the lawyer because she fouled up her paperwork at one point. They got it straightened out and all went smoothly after a bit of wrangling though. I think the paper work cost was a lot less than the gren card app though.

I don't mind rules about who can and can't come, as long as they are fair and not based on which foreign government is helping the fortunes of some political party here. The prior poster is clearly an ill-informed red-neck with little to nothing in common with real patriots.

Hatred is NOT a family value.

The 90-day thing depends on country of origin and the purpose of the visa.

Funny thing is that when Americans visit Brazil on a tourist visa there's also a

90-day limit. On a couple of occasions I've stayed longer (as much as 5 months at a time) by applying for an extension. I now have a Brazilian Federal Police card which I carry for ID while traveling there. That opens a few doors and allows me to buy property. Their requirements for a work permit are even more confusing than ours. Since my company is online though, I don't really need that -- just the freedom to travel.

Have you been abroad since getting the "conditional"? There's an inconvenient surprise for many folks upon returning. Instead of being routinely processed through customs, you get side-tracked to a separate office where they question you more about your trip. It can take anywhere from a few minutes to several hours before you get out to whoever is waiting for you and there's no way to make a call (cell phones are prohibited in customs). I'm not sure the reason for this step but it's a royal PITA if you arrive at a busy time.

This has gone on way too long so I'll let it go for now. Good luck with your app. Do go for full citizenship if you plan to stay in the US permanently. It's a great country and you should avail yourself of all the rights we don't give away to right-wing presidents from Texas. :^)

Reply to
Robert L Bass

Then use an IP controlled relay to switch power to the PC. Just make sure your PC boot up when power is applied.

Reply to
Robert L Bass

You said the magic words: "I earned the right". I'm glad you went through the legal process, that makes you an honorable man. My maternal ancestors came through Ellis Island legally and there is a possibility that a few of them were turned away in accordance with the existing law at the time. My paternal ancestors came to America with the second or third wave of colonists who were escaping a tyrannical English monarchy. I would be interested in how you know what I sound like. I don't recall posting an audio file. *snicker*

TDD

Reply to
The Daring Dufas

Aha, OK. I think it took me about half that time, but I get a green card for 2 years then i have to do more paperwork to turn it into a full green card (I've got all the rights of a full GC now, but I think they just want to hear from people 2 years down the line to make sure they're still married and aren't playing the system). I must be classed as something like a "non-permanent permanent resident" right now ;)

I've hated the paperwork so far - there's a lot of stuff in there that's a bit ambiguous. I can see why most folk hire lawyers to take care of it...

[snip]

Well, I got "grilled" in Chicago on my 4th trip over on the VWP, and it delayed me for about 30 mins - I had to hoof it to make my next flight. But it wasn't a bad experience (I'd heard some real horror stories) - the staff were polite and courteous and were happy with the answers I gave them.

Just frustrating not knowing in advance whether you're going to get 'caught' in that process though (maybe it's better now, but all the online airline ticket companies at the time didn't give the option for saying how long you wanted between landing in the US and getting a connecting flight

- if the first flight was running late it could be tight enough as it was)

I've not tried going out of the US and back since I was granted residency

- probably won't now either as I've only got until Feb before I have to apply to get the 'full' green card.

cheers!!

Jules

Reply to
Jules

An ATX pc is never really off..

In fact part of the MB is still under power..

how do you think the pc turn on just by the press of a small momentary switch...

you can even see that the MB is under power by looking at inside the box while the system is supposed to be off. you will see at least one led on..

Reply to
petem

I think that is his point. Reread his post.

Reply to
Josepi

Well, you're right that an ATX PC is never truly off. But a circuit that would go truly off, but could power up with a switch like ATX, wouldn't be hard.

And, as I understand it, an ATX computer that is "off" can wake-on-lan. I've got no idea how much power an ATX machine draws when "off".

But they also have a switch on the back which is "truly off". What the OP is looking for would end up being the equivalent of hitting that switch.

Reply to
Joe Pfeiffer

Cabling-Design.com Forums website is not affiliated with any of the manufacturers or service providers discussed here. All logos and trade names are the property of their respective owners.