WAS: where to from here? Now I have useful info for consumers

The BBB is a shill. Only companies who don't pay to be "members" get

>negative stuff on the report.

David may be right or wrong, but he made me wonder about some companies that do business in our trade. I won't post the results I found (yes the one I work for had "satisfactory"), but here is some tips they give to consumers that all non-pros should read lurking in here.

----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

***Smoke Detectors, Fire Detectors and Extinguishers***

Smoke detectors are your first defense against fire. When shopping for smoke detectors, purchase units that bear the label of an independent testing laboratory. Get competitive bids for installation of a system from at least two or three companies, so you can compare prices. Ask for names of former customers you may contact for references.

Beware of door-to-door sales representatives who try to use scare tactics to induce you to buy their systems. They may tell horror stories calculated to arouse parents to put in an expensive system to protect children from fire.

Beware also of someone who offers to install a system free in exchange for referrals. In such schemes, if other prospects you refer to the salesperson also purchase the system, you get yours free. But you may well find yourself with no referrals and having to pay the full price of an overpriced system. If you have any reason to doubt a firm's reputability, contact a Better Business Bureau.

There are two types of detectors to warn the family about fire.

Smoke detectors sound an alarm at the first trace of smoke. They should be installed outside each bedroom area and on each additional story of the house. For extra protection, be sure to install smoke detectors inside the bedrooms, dining room, hallways.

Heat detectors are not life safety devices. Heat detectors may be considered for added protection in kitchens, attics, basements, integral or attached garages, and furnace and utility rooms. Proper maintenance also is necessary to be sure the detectors are in working order. Follow the manufacturer's recommendations, check the equipment, and change the batteries on a regular basis.

It is a good idea to own at least one fire extinguisher. There are times when a small fire in the early stages can be fought successfully. But if you do not completely familiarize yourself with how to use your particular extinguisher, and on what type of fire it can be used, it can be dangerous to use. Read the instructions for your extinguisher and reread them from time to time. Ask your fire department how to use a fire extinguishers.

There are three basic classes of fire extinguishers. All fire extinguishers are labeled for the class they can extinguish. Type A is for ordinary combustibles or cellulose materials, such as wood. Type B is for combustible and flammable liquids, such as grease or paint. Type C is for fires in energized electrical equipment.

Fire extinguishers can be designed for use on one type of fire or on several. An extinguisher designated ABC will serve an average home and can be used on flammable liquid fires and electrical fires, and also can be used on wood paper or clothing fires. A good location might be in the kitchen, with an extra one in some other handy spot.

Look for an extinguisher tested by an independent testing laboratory. Both the class designation and the mark of laboratory testing should appear directly on the extinguisher. If you do not know what type of fire detector system or extinguisher would be best for you, you can obtain general advice from the fire protection unit of your local fire department. You can also contact the National Fire Protection Association, Batterymarch Park, Quincy, MA 02269.

Reprinted without permission from

formatting link
I hope they don't mind.

-Graham

Reply to
G. Morgan
Loading thread data ...

Cabling-Design.com Forums website is not affiliated with any of the manufacturers or service providers discussed here. All logos and trade names are the property of their respective owners.