video wiring for lcd panels: HDMI, DVI, other?

If you were wiring to display video on lcd panels throughout a home (say 2 to 4 screens), what wiring would you use? HDMI seems to be easiest and most cost effective because it's smaller wire (vs composite, dvi etc), best quality and includes audio and video. However, are there any encryption or other issues with using HDMI? The purpose would be to display anything from a computer, tv or security system. I'm aware that the system would require conversion and distribution boxes to bring everything into HDMI. Am I wrong to assume that would be best?

Thanks,

John

Reply to
John M Lauck
Loading thread data ...

I would be inclined to use a cat5 system like this:

formatting link

If you want to run discrete cables mini-coax is a lot smaller than multiple runs of RG6:

formatting link
formatting link

There are other brands. Be sure to check compatibility of connectors and tooling.

I would avoid HDMI due to content restrictions.

Reply to
Lewis Gardner

Reply to
John J. Bengii

Get real!

• 6x7 hidef matrix switch
  • 6 DVI/component to cat5 systems
  • IR repeater system
  • DVI/Component converter

$4000 is a bargain. Tell me how you could install such a system for less, including cable.

While 6x7 may be a bit much for the OP it certainly a cost effective solution for a bunch of sources and displays. Even though we don't know how many sources the OP has in mind this could still be cost competitive at 4 outputs if he needs 6 inputs.

If he can get by with 4x4 then here is a less capable $1500 unit from Xantech:

xantech.com/products/hd_distribution/hd44cc5.htm

But depending on how he want to configure things he will still need at least a IR repeater system, DVI converter and SPDIF converters to do what is included in the AA part. Here is some discussion:

formatting link

Reply to
Lewis Gardner

I wouldn't. There are other well known methods of playing music and videos tat cost much less.

Tell me how you could drive a Rolls-Royce car for less.

Reply to
John J. Bengii

But that's the reality of trying to distribute HiDef at this point in time. That and dealing with controlling the source equipment. Neither have inexpensive solutions. The old rule continues to apply:

Good Fast Cheap

Pick two.

It'll be good and cheap but it'll be slow as hell. It'll be good and fast but, hoo-boy, you'll pay for it. It'll be fast and cheap but it won't be worth a damn in the long run. Cars, jobs, gadgets, spouses, the rule is universal.

Personally, I'd like to see a cheap ATSC video modulator. Give me a way to push component and audio into an ATSC channel so I can inject it into existing RF cabling in the house. Last time I checked these were HIDEOUSLY expensive.

-Bill

Reply to
Bill Kearney

Are you saying you want to hard-wire-distribute video at 1080p hi def? If not then HDMI might be overkill, if so then HDMI is good because you can use a simple HDMI splitter/selector boxes and cheaper HDMI cable (22 gauge even) can be had now from monoprice.com in long lengths (for under $2 a foot terminated). HDMI signal is all digital so degradation is usually not a big issue, I'm running 1080p over a 50 foot HDMI right now and the picture is incredible, 100 feet or more would probably not be an issue either. No data conversions or baluns either to mess up the picture.

Reply to
RickH

Rick, That's kind of what I want to do. I already have a whole house audio system in place. And really I don't need 1080p hi def. I just figured the cables and a 4 port hdmi distributor hub isn't that expensive. I'd rather not have to deal with converters or baluns, especially at the distribution end. Basically, if I have a computer in the basement that loads the web interface on my Swann dvr and maybe cycles through some other web sites (weather, news etc), I'd like to be able to have a few monitors throughout the house that can display this content. Considering most of the display units will be on a wall (in place of a sconce) I won't have room for conversion hardware behind them. The video terminals would be somewhat dumb terminals. So, if I wanted to change the content I'll use my nokia n800 or something of the sort to vnc into the basement box. I've seen monitors that take hdmi and aren't terribly expensive. At least, the price of the monitor would be the same as buying a cheaper monitor and the necessary conversion/balun kits. I plan on wiring some cat5e for future expansion. Overall it seems like the size of the HDMI wire is best compared to component and DVI. I'd have to drill some monstrous holes to fit a DVI end into the wall.

Reply to
John M Lauck

Reply to
John J. Bengii

Cabling-Design.com Forums website is not affiliated with any of the manufacturers or service providers discussed here. All logos and trade names are the property of their respective owners.