Video cabling advice needed

Hello. I'm looking for guidance on a project I want to do. I am new to this type of thing, so I am need any tips or suggestions you have.

I want to combine DVD, TiVo, satellite, and OTA antenna into one using a modulator. I would have about 4 coax runs to make to TVs, each 50 feet or less in length.

1) I've found the Channel Plus 5545, Channel Plus SVM-24, and the Channel Vision E4200 as some possibilities (the SVM-24 being stereo, which would be a plus). Any suggestions on which one is better? Are there any others out there that you like better?

2) I've looked at wiring examples for these modulators, and I don't know if I'd also need something like the Channel Plus DA-8200BID or 8200HHR which they show. Would I need an amp with this setup? If so, what is the difference between BID and HHR? I don't know why I would choose one over the other. I'm also confused about the filters they show (mostly on the OTA feed), and if I need them or not.

3) I want to be able to change channels, turn the antenna rotor, etc. from anywhere, so I also need an IR solution. I was thinking about using something like the Harmony 890 so I wouldn't have to have IR receivers, pyramids, etc. around the house. My question or concern is if something like this would be able to blast the IR signals to all the components if I have them on a shelving unit or bookcase, etc. Do you have any experience with the 890? Do you have any other suggestions on how to do this?

Thanks for any help you can give!

Mark

Reply to
Mark Clark
Loading thread data ...

The ChannelPlus 5545 will do the job nicely. I've sold a fair number of them to people with very similar needs. The stereo unit is good but do you *really* need stereo at each TV set. If the remote sets are TV only (ie, no separate speakers) the stereo imaging isn't going to be much anyway. Personally, I'd go with the mono unit for remote, modulated sets and just feed stereo from your components directly into the receiver in the main listening room or home theater.

I carry ChannelVision, too, but I have not tried their E4200. T Their stuff is decent, but ChannelPlus is excellent.

With just four 50-foot runs I'd go with just the modulator. You shouldn't need the amplifier.

The 5545 includes integrated IR control. All you'll need is IR targets and emitters.

If you want the penultimate solution, there's always the ChannelPlus 5558BID "Bi-directional RF Distribution Kit with

5-volt IR System". The kit includes a 4-channel modulator, 8200 series bi-directional signal amplifier, three IR targets (receivers) and two dual-head emitters. To that you could add one more IR target to provide IR control from all four remote locations.

Bear in mind that if your system includes 4 viewing locations but one of them is the primary listening room, you really only need three channels of modulation and IR targets for the same three locations. The fourth location is where the equipment is and needs no IR target or modulator.

As to blasting the IR signal, there's no need to worry. The IR emitters can be placed directly on the components or, if you're the adventuresome type, inside the components. Just watch out for stickers that say, "opening this box voids the warranty." Technically, such disclaimers are nonsense but you don't want to be the one to try to prove it in court. :^)

If you need more help planning this out, give me a call.

Reply to
Robert L Bass

Thank you for the information. Just what I was looking for! I think I have just one more question on the ChannelPlus products for now...

The 8200 amp comes in two flavors, a "BID" and an "HHR". What is the difference between the two? The specs I saw looked the same for both, I think, so I'm not sure what makes them different.

Thanks!

Reply to
Mark Clark

BID means Bi-Directional. Signals pass both ways. HHR means "High Headroom". However, since the BID is also an HHR and the price is the same, I'd get the BID unit.

Reply to
Robert L Bass

Cabling-Design.com Forums website is not affiliated with any of the manufacturers or service providers discussed here. All logos and trade names are the property of their respective owners.