Updating X-10 Home Automation

I have been using X-10 with a CP290 Interface for almost 19 years. It's worked very well for me, for the most part. I use it to control all the lights inside and outside my home. I had problems in the past with some of the devices failing, but, thanks to this forum, a recommendation for a simple Repeater plugged into my dryer outlet solved that problem.

Now I'm getting more failures, not bad, but devices not working, or coming on, but not dimming, at times, like they are programmed. I was thinking it's time now to look for something more updated. Besides, my old pc with the serial port and Windows 98 isn't going to be around much longer, so my trusty CP290 will be forced into retirement.

I stayed with the X-10's as they were inexpensive, simple to program, and for the most part, reliable. My question now is what is the best system to move up to to replace my X-10's? I only have about 10 devices in service now, inside and out, more with the holidays coming up, but all are controlling house lighting. I'd like something inexpensive, add ons available as needed, with simple pc control.

Smarthome is pushing Insteon, is that a reliable format or is there something better? Any thoughts or suggestions would be appreciated.

Thanks, John

Reply to
John
Loading thread data ...

$0.02 If inexpensive is important criteria, you are stuck with X10. Insteon, Z-wave, UPB, etc. modules for controlling are from $35 to $90 each. If you stick with X10, get a new coupler/amp such as Jeff Volps "XTB II", and X10's CM15A and ActiveHome Pro. Will be more reliable than your old set-up, and still cost less than the new formats.

Reply to
D&SW

Insteon has the advantage that it is compatible with your X-10 devices so you can transition to new devices gradually without busting your budget.

Insteon has the disadvantage that it is bothered by the same noise sources as X-10 (and may be the cause of your increasing problems). CFLs and other devices with switch mode power supplies are frequent culprits, outputting noise in the same frequency band use by X-10 (120kHz) and Insteon (131.5kHz). This is sure to get worse as efficiency mandates outlaw incandescents and linear power supplies.

By and large, after some >I have been using X-10 with a CP290 Interface for almost 19 years.

Reply to
Dave Houston

But isn't that only if you're using the powerline control method?

Reply to
Bill Kearney

My perspective comes from being an earlier adopter of INSTEON and now having about 70 INSTEON devices of various types that (mostly) superceded and replaced X-10 and that coexist with hard-wired.

I mostly agree with the previous comments by "D&SW" and snipped-for-privacy@whocares.com and add:

1) INSTEON does not have wall switches or dimmers that work without a neutral wire in the same way as an X10 WS-467. This could disqualify INSTEON depending on the details of the AC wiring in your home and your willingness to make changes to the AC wiring. Look at Zwave if the no-neutral issues applies to you.

(If you need wall switches or dimmers in switch boxes that do not a neutral conductor, the INSTEON solution is a pricey kludge which involves rewiring one of the two conductors to a neutral (and so not having a 'switched' conductor) and adding a second INSTEON module at the light fixture that does the actual switching/dimming. This may not be easy to do. )

2) I do not use, and cannot recommend the INSTEON + X-10 mixed (compatibility) mode for a variety of reasons, the most important of which is that one loses most/many of the benefits of INSTEON in mixed mode. I do still have a limited X-10 powerline network that I use in _addition_ to the INSTEON-only network. I currently use an ACT TI103 interface for X-10 and 2412S Powerline Modem (PLM) for INSTEON. 3) Avoid the INSTEON Powerline Controller (PLC) in either USB or RS-232 versions ( 2414U and 2414S respectively). Even Smarthome has given up on them

-- the latest version of Smarthome's SmartLinc software requires a new version of the PLM and won't work with any version of the PLC.

4) The low-priced ICON versions of INSTEON dimmers and modules have nearly all of the functionality of their higher-priced counterparts. All the device pairs I have examined are based on the same printed circuit board with the main obvious difference being the number of LEDs (and I prefer the fewer LEDs of the cheaper versions). 5) Currently shipping INSTEON devices appear to be problem-free and robust. Warranty has been extended retroactively to five years for all switches and dimmers against the problem of failing microswitches. 6) Take a look at the IS-26 and ISY-99 family of standalone, communicating INSTEON and IR controllers if you are considering INSTEON:

formatting link

7) Check out Jeff Volp's if you are sticking with X-10.
formatting link
This may be all you need in addition to replacing X-10 devices that fail overtime owing to age.

HTH ... Marc

Visit my updated Home Automation and Electronics Internet Porch Sale at

formatting link

Marc_F_Hult

formatting link

Reply to
Marc_F_Hult

As best I know, there are still no INSTEON devices that actually control AC (as opposed to simply communicating) ad that use RF-only (i.e., don't also communicate over the AC powerline).

The RF portion of INSTEON has been slow in being developed and implemented. IMO, SmartLabs and Smarthome have allowed outdated, anticipatory documentation and statements to mislead consumers about the actual state of RF functionality in INSTEON.

however, there are two useful, actually avaialble functions of INSTEON RF at this time in my experience:

1) Powerline coupling: Both the 2442 SignaLinc RF Signal Extender and the 2443p Access Point provide coupling between phases of the AC power lines, but the 2442 does not communicate with other RF devices and has been superceded by the 2443p. Avoid the 2442. 2) RF communication via INSTEON handheld RF devices to INSTEON switches and modules is *much* faster thancomparable X-10 powerline + X-10 RF transmissions. This is mostly due to the increased speed of INSTEON powerline communications compared to X-10 , not the RF communications.

(I maintain both INSTEON and X-10 RF networks using multiple 2443P's for INSTEON and a pair of W800RF32A

formatting link
for X-10 which superceded the unsupported/abandoned BX24-AHT. Both RF networks exist peacefully together.)

4) Control of INSTEON powerline devices via X-10 RF using the W800RF32A is nearly as fast and just as reliable as via INSTEON RF in my installation. However the X-10 RF install depends on HomeSeer software running 24x7 but the INSTEON RF works with INSTEON powerline devices 'standalone' and without intervening controller or PC.

HTH ... Marc

formatting link

Marc_F_Hult

formatting link

Reply to
Marc_F_Hult

Note though, that INSTEON is *not* 'compatible' with INSTEON in the mode in which INSTEON has significant advantages in speed and dependability over X-10.

This matters if you are spending real dollars and not Simoleons.

IMO/E one would be better off obtaining Jeff Volp's XTB family of X-10 signal devices than to spend real money on INSTEON for use in 'compatibility' mode with little or no improvement or advantage over X-10.

Last I knew, the mixed-mode ('compatibility mode = INSTEON + X-10) function:

1) Makes all devices including INSTEON as slow as X-10, 2) Does not use the repeater functionality provided in INSTEON-only mode that can greatly improve reliability 3) Is not supported with INSTEON RF 4) Is not supported by INSTEON 2443p Access Points 5) Is not supported by the 2442 signal repeater 6) Is not supported by INSTEON Motion + temperature RF sensors 7) Is not fully/well supported by standalone controllers such as ISY-26/99 8) Does not allow for logical coupling of INSTEON devices 9) ABIK, does not support built-in INSTEON scene and group modes 10) Has all the disadvantages of X-10

and probably more.

So the "transition" snipped-for-privacy@whocares.com (Dave Houston) writes about is mostly on paper and theoretical. Yes, you can buy INSTEON devices at a premium price over X-10 devices and install and use INSTEON as X-10 devices, but there is little or no significant improvement in performance or increase in functionality over X-10 in this "transition", mixed-mode ('compatibility') configuration.

IMO/E one would be better off obtaining Jeff Volp's XTB family of X-10 signal devices than to spend actual money on INSTEON for use in the "compatibility mode" with little or no improvement or advantage over X-10. HTH ... Marc

formatting link

Marc_F_Hult

formatting link

Reply to
Marc_F_Hult

in

^^^^ X-10

What my fingers were told to type was: " ... INSTEON is *not* 'compatible' with X-10 in the mode in which INSTEON ..."

See below ... Marc

Note though, that INSTEON is *not* 'compatible' with X-10 in the mode in which INSTEON has significant advantages in speed and dependability over X-10.

This matters if you are spending real dollars and not Simoleons.

IMO/E one would be better off obtaining Jeff Volp's XTB family of X-10 signal devices than to spend real money on INSTEON for use in 'compatibility' mode with little or no improvement or advantage over X-10.

Last I knew, the mixed-mode ('compatibility mode = INSTEON + X-10) function:

1) Makes all devices including INSTEON as slow as X-10, 2) Does not use the repeater functionality provided in INSTEON-only mode that can greatly improve reliability 3) Is not supported with INSTEON RF 4) Is not supported by INSTEON 2443p Access Points 5) Is not supported by the 2442 signal repeater 6) Is not supported by INSTEON Motion + temperature RF sensors 7) Is not fully/well supported by standalone controllers such as ISY-26/99 8) Does not allow for logical coupling of INSTEON devices 9) ABIK, does not support built-in INSTEON scene and group modes 10) Has all the disadvantages of X-10

and probably more.

So the "transition" snipped-for-privacy@whocares.com (Dave Houston) writes about is mostly on paper and theoretical. Yes, you can buy INSTEON devices at a premium price over X-10 devices and install and use INSTEON as X-10 devices, but there is little or no significant improvement in performance or increase in functionality over X-10 in this "transition", mixed-mode ('compatibility') configuration.

IMO/E one would be better off obtaining Jeff Volp's XTB family of X-10 signal devices than to spend actual money on INSTEON for use in the "compatibility mode" with little or no improvement or advantage over X-10. HTH ... Marc

formatting link

Marc_F_Hult

formatting link

Reply to
Marc_F_Hult

Cabling-Design.com Forums website is not affiliated with any of the manufacturers or service providers discussed here. All logos and trade names are the property of their respective owners.