TW523 transmit problem

I have a homebrew home control system that uses a TW523 X10 transceiver to receive commands from X10 control boxes and send X10 commands to various devices. The TW523 recently stopped transmitting commands over the powerline. The LED on it blinks when it tries to transmit, but X10 devices receive nothing. It receives commands fine. If anyone has experienced this problem, especially if you have solved it, I'd love to hear from you. Web site references would be helpful if you've seen anything related to this.

I've fixed several RF modules in the past, and hope this might be something easily fixed also, as I am on a tight budget these days..

Bob

Reply to
Bob
Loading thread data ...

You need to determine whether the TW523 is defective or is having its output attenuated by some external device recently added to your powerline.

formatting link
offers a loaner ESM1 X-10 Signal Strength Meter with which you can measure the output of the TW523 as well as isolate any signal attenuators.

If the TW523 is defective, there is a schematic on the X-10 web site.

ftp://ftp.x10.com/pub/manuals/technicalnote.pdf

"Bob" wrote:

Reply to
Dave Houston

My initial thought was external device attenuation, but I was unable to find such a device, and everything else (X10) in my home works fine.

I cannot find any reference to the "loaner" signal meter on that site, so any additional pointers would be helpful. The schematic is definately one of the things I needed, so thanks for that reference

Bob

Reply to
Bob

Send them an email.

Reply to
Dave Houston

Thanks Dave.

Actually, I made up an oscilloscope adapter to look at the signal. Level wise, it looks fine. I'm thinking that my problem related to the zero-level crossing timing. I fiddled with the wires from the controller to the TW523, reset my system a few times, and got it working marginally. It looks to me like my signal is going out a ways away from the zero crossing. My controller sends out the signal based on an interrupt from the zero crossing signal from the TW523, and maybe the delay is too long. I've got more testing to do at this point.

Bob

Reply to
Bob

Reply to
Dave Houston

The PL513/TW523 manual (referenced earlier) suggests no more than a 50 µsec delay between the ZC reference and output pulse.

The receiver "acceptance window" is from 250 to 900 µsecs after ZC.

What µC>Thanks Dave.

Reply to
Dave Houston

Cabling-Design.com Forums website is not affiliated with any of the manufacturers or service providers discussed here. All logos and trade names are the property of their respective owners.