TV pre-wire question.....

What's the distance involved? Are you planning on using the HDMI input on your flat screen? What's the equipment you've got? More details please. :-)

Reply to
Frank Olson
Loading thread data ...

Without any details, we can't say. But my general experience is that - over time - you will end up using ALL of the inputs into the TV. Plan accordingly.

Jim

Reply to
Jim Hewitt

I depends on how you want this system to work.

Due to the distance between the source equipment and the display I would do most (if not all) of the switching at a receiver located with the source equipment. If you do this you will not need as many cables going to the TV. While you didn't mention a receiver I would put one in so you can have surround sound which is quite nice. I recommend Yamaha receivers because of their room filling 5 channel stereo mode that makes even the oldest source material "come alive".

At a minimum I install 1 RG6 and 2 cat5 cables to any TV. In this case more would be better. While you can run just about any signal over cat5 the baluns required to do so get expensive.

A little more information about your goal and equipment would be helpful.

Reply to
Lewis Gardner

I would run 1 composite, 5 component (L/R+3 for video), 2 RG6 and 2 CAT5e cables. Unless the room is rather small, skip HDMI. That should cover just about anything you might use.

Alternatively, run 1.5 or 2" conduit and place a pulling cord in it so you can install whatever you like later.

Reply to
Robert L Bass

Hi All,

I'm prewiring a new addition for a wall-mounted flat screen TV. The cable box, TiVo, DVD player, etc., will be located in a cabinet against another wall. My question is what cable(s) will need to be run between the video source (the "boxes"), and the TV itself?

Thanks!

John

Reply to
John Morley

Cabling-Design.com Forums website is not affiliated with any of the manufacturers or service providers discussed here. All logos and trade names are the property of their respective owners.