TV

Does anyone know of a device that I can plug into a TV aerial which would then transmit the signal via 802.11g where I can then pick it up (with appropriate software) on a wireless enabled PC. So for instance if I want to have multiple Tablet PCs in my home network I could then view TV on any of them without having to equip each of them with a TV card?

Reply to
Joseph Byrns
Loading thread data ...

No such animal.

Reply to
Frank Olson

Reply to
Gemini

Have a look at the Sony LocationFree device, it comes with a LCD panel but you can also buy client software viewer for Windows.

It is on the expensive side and you could could do cheaper with a dedicated pc that has a TV tuner card and a video streaming application.

Reply to
Help Me

Have a look at the Sony LocationFree device, it comes with a LCD panel but you can also buy client software viewer for Windows.

It 's on the expensive side and you could could do cheaper with a dedicated pc that has a TV tuner card and a video streaming application.

Reply to
Help Me

As a single, stand-alone device? No. You could do something like put a TV card in a PC and then push the channel it's watching out as a stream. You'd have to use one TV card for each stream you need. So if you have 4 tablets and you want them all watching something different then you'd need 4 capture cards. There may be capture cards that can handle more than one input at a time but most only handle one.

By the time you get all this working you're still stuck with a real bandwidth hog. Pushing anywhere near high-quality video takes up a fair bit of bandwidth. Enough to cause other traffic on the airwaves to be delayed. WiFi is nowhere near as capable of throughput as is a switched wired network.

That and TVs are cheap and connecting them easy.

Reply to
wkearney99

Cabling-Design.com Forums website is not affiliated with any of the manufacturers or service providers discussed here. All logos and trade names are the property of their respective owners.