Turning on/off an outlet via the pc (RF)

Anyone know of a product that allows you to control an outlet via an RF transmitter connected to a PC?

I know there's DIY hobby solutions RF transmitters that connect to the PC via the parallel port, where you can then solder wires from the the RF receiver to the device you want to control.. however, all I need is to turn on/off an outlet via the PC.

Ideally, I'd like to write my own software (running in Linux or Windows) that tells the transmitter to output the on / off command... isn't there's some clap-on/clap-off like device that plugs into an ac outlet, and turns on/off power to any device connected to it when commanded via an open-protocol RF signal?

Reply to
benn
Loading thread data ...

Why does it need to be RF? Couldn't you use a power-line-carrier device like X10?

Reply to
Bob F

I am unaware of any that have an RF/PC interface and are also inexpensive. Inexpensive ones (.eg. GE Smarthome) use handheld RF remotes. You would need to jury rig a method of triggering the remote from a PC.

formatting link

Reply to
Dave Houston

How about an X-10 Firecracker? That's pretty cheap. And pretty reliable if you're just using it to control the outlet on the wireless receiver.

Reply to
Bill Kearney

Thanks, I'm not set on using RF, just whatever is quick and easy.. X10 looks pretty good actually!

My only concern is that, it seems like it can only be used with their software... is this true? Does X10 publish the details on the protocol interface? I'd like to control the firecracker via my software in linux.

BTW, the site shows only Lamp Modules that you plug your bulb into.. however, I can't find a close-up picture to see if the lamp module also has a regular outlet in order to turn on/off non-lamp devices as well. Anyone know?

Reply to
benn

You can probably find a Linux app for the firecracker. Also, I know I've seen the interface spec someplace, maybe even the x10.com website.

Check out Neil's site at

formatting link
He's even got a book "Linux Smart Homes" in the "for Dummies" series, and it's got a bunch of SW on CD.

X10 has lamp and appliance modules. In fact, they're even available that the Home Depots around here..

Reply to
J Miller

Thanks, I'm not set on using RF, just whatever is quick and easy.. X10 looks pretty good actually!

My only concern is that, it seems like it can only be used with their software... is this true? Does X10 publish the details on the protocol interface? I'd like to control the firecracker via my software in linux.

BTW, the site shows only Lamp Modules that you plug your bulb into.. however, I can't find a close-up picture to see if the lamp module also has a regular outlet in order to turn on/off non-lamp devices as well. Anyone know?

There are all kinds of software out there to control X10 through various hardware interface devices. The protocol is available also. I used it years ago when designing the microcontroller software for my home control system.

There are many kinds of modules, switches and outlets available for X10 control, many very cheap.

formatting link

Reply to
Bob F

| My only concern is that, it seems like it can only be used with their | software... is this true? Does X10 publish the details on the | protocol interface? I'd like to control the firecracker via my | software in linux.

There are two unix daemons to control the CM17a on my home automation page (link on

formatting link
One uses the MR26a for reception and the other uses some custom code on a BX24. Transmission and reception are independent so you can use either with just the CM17a (firecracker) for transmit-only operation.

Dan Lanciani ddl@danlan.*com

Reply to
Dan Lanciani

I could only find the Firecracker as part of a $50 package that includes a lamp module, RF transceiver and handheld remote.

The protocol is here...

formatting link
The TM751 transceiver has a relay operated outlet that is directly controlled by RF.

Lamp modules (Don't use them with non-dimming devices!) and appliance modules (relay operated) only operate using PLC which is a bit slow as the CM17A (Firecracker) waits for the complete code then sends RF. The TM751 waits for the complete RF code then sends the PLC. The entire process takes nearly a second.

The X-10 RF protocol is here...

formatting link
but I'm unaware of a source (aside from myself) for 310MHz transmitter modules although you could use the transmitter in the CM17A (Firecracker). You could drive an RF transmitter directly using LIRC, using clamping diodes to limit the voltage from DTR, etc.

Reply to
Dave Houston

Have a look at "Heyu"

Of course, there are lamp modules with standard outlets and are dimmable, appliance modules, which contain relays, and box mounted switches and outlets.

Reply to
Tom Stiller

Cabling-Design.com Forums website is not affiliated with any of the manufacturers or service providers discussed here. All logos and trade names are the property of their respective owners.