trying to set up some old x10 units -- having some problems

Sorry for being vague, I'll try to be brief. We installed some X10 wall modules several years ago and promptly didn't use the system :-). Anyway, we want to get them working now so that we can have them timed on/off.

Here's what I did -- ("*****" denotes errors/weird things happening :-)

- 3 wall modules (I2, I3, I4)

- 1 lamp module (I5)

- attached computer interface CM-11A to computer, plugged into socket

- ActiveHome software installed, added each of those modules.

- tested lamp module. Worked ok.

- tested wall module I2 - ok

- tested wall module I3 - ok

- tested wall module I4 - nothing happened *****

- switched wall module I4 to A1

- tested again, nothing happened

- plugged in RR501 Transceiver, set to housecode A

- tested again, nothing happened except the transceiver turned off/on (could hear the "CLICK!") *****

- put A1 back to I4

- put transceiver to housecode I

- tested again, nothing happened and the transceiver *didn't* turn off/ on *****

- checked electrical panel: I4 is on a different circuit than I2 and I3, but on the same phase I believe (24 breakers, 1-12 on top, 13-24 on bottom, I2/I3 on 14, I4 on 24.

- plugged I5 into a plug on same circuit as I4.

- tested I5 -- NOTHING HAPPENED. *****

My son says we had a small device that used to plug into the serial port (I can't find that).

Am I missing something that needs to be added to the system, or is there something else I should be checking/doing to make this thing work?

Any help would be greatly appreciated.

Reply to
jaggedpeak
Loading thread data ...

When you tested the RR501 on A, did you test using the CM11A or with a remote. The relay (i.e. the "click") can be operated by RF directly so you need to be clear about the type of signal.

If I4 is >Sorry for being vague, I'll try to be brief. We installed some X10

Reply to
Dave Houston

Reply to
BruceR

Cabling-Design.com Forums website is not affiliated with any of the manufacturers or service providers discussed here. All logos and trade names are the property of their respective owners.