Trapped X10 ghost signals

Thierry,

There have been other, similar reports where switchmode power supplies caused random turn ons of X-10 modules or switches.

With one exception, those reports, like yours, said no valid X-10 commands were seen by powerline interfaces (e.g. CM11A). In the one case where the individual claimed there were valid commands on the line, a Google search will show that he was initially emphatic that there were no such commands on the line and then later claimed otherwise. I suspect his later descriptions were in error. Like your experience, only certain addresses were affected. He said it only happened at night.

X-10 has documented that powerline spikes and brownouts can cause events like this. Steven Bloom has documented a "fix" for some switches that were being triggered by spikes.

formatting link
So far nobody has offered a plausible explanation of the events you describe but the fact that only your X-10 made devices were affected is probably an important clue. It may have a cause similar to the above.

It might be helpful to know what switch>Just to contribute to the X10 home automation knowledge base, I discovered

Reply to
Dave Houston
Loading thread data ...

Just to contribute to the X10 home automation knowledge base, I discovered two weeks ago the reason of unexpected X10 modules lighted ON.

Symptoms were : P16 ON triggered sometimes also P1 and/or one of the two modules coded on E10. P16 also triggered systematically E5. J3 ON triggered sometimes J1.

Second case was quickly fixed. The reason was a wrong setup of smarthome

2000STW module by defining the P16 as the "group scene" (secondary) address.

"sometimes" means a periodicity of 1 time each three days, but at least one each week

All the modules are based on X10 original design, but some are true European version (not converted), other US with a mix of appliance and lamp.

Capturing the X10 commands with a CM11 or Powerlinc USB didn't provide any relevant information (no trace of issued commands relating to P1, E10 or J1 command)

By the fact that triggering occured only on one module of a shared address (E10) for two distinct module, I decided to exchange the module without improvement.

I tried with a scope to tune the defect module (tuning self to improve 120 kHz detection) without success.

There was no real logic related to the module place. Some were far away form the distribution panel, other close and problem was not limited to one room but always to the same module with fixed address plugged at fixed places.

Finally I discovered that the problem was a power switching supply providing the required 5V to my wireless router located very close to the breaker box and therefore my ACT X10 signal repeater.

I have no rational explanation, just a fact. Remove the power supply and reliability is back. Let it on 24/24 and you will encountered false triggering in a week. I have already installed signal filter (especially on TV and computer plug) but, on the basis of my knowledge, filter are adressing loosing signal strength, not false triggering.

It also seems that problem is related to the X10 original electronical design. I didn't encountered any problem with my smarthome or ACT modules (14 on a total of 37 globally installed).

Hope it helps

Thierry

Reply to
Thierry Parent

Reply to
Dave Houston

I also detected this kind of strange behaviour with Smarthome, but in my case, the noisy device was plugged on the module as "load". More generaly, load detection on smartome modules is a little bit "tricky" and less reliable than "old fashioned" X10 module. It seems to be related to the level of sensing current which is lowest in the case of smarthome. On the basis of my tests : (more info available on my web page :

formatting link
Smarthome 2000STW (lamp) could only detect filament lamp (halogene included) load

- Smarthome 2001STW (switch) detect filament, and transformer (electronic or iron cage), but is not able to detect fluorescent bulb.

Thierry

Reply to
Thierry Parent

Cabling-Design.com Forums website is not affiliated with any of the manufacturers or service providers discussed here. All logos and trade names are the property of their respective owners.