transceiver behavior wrt relay

Ok, so I'm reading about the PIC replacements that have been done on the RR501, and I came across this:

> As compared to the original X10 code in which the relay responds directly >> to the RF signal from the remote, with your code in the PIC, only the >> power line command controls the relay, which of course is a better >> design. > > A free benefit of full-duplex operation...

I don't get it. Why would you want the relay to NOT respond when you send the RF command for it? Or is the issue here that the RR501 normally doesn't send the unit 1 code on the wire, so other devices on unit 1 never hear it? Does full-duplex in this case mean that the modified RR501 puts the code on the wire, then reads its own broadcast and flips the integrated relay?

Reply to
bcboy
Loading thread data ...

I don't get it either. The standard RR501 does forward the command to the powerline.

Reply to
Dave Houston

In article , snipped-for-privacy@thecraftstudio.com writes: | Ok, so I'm reading about the PIC replacements that have been done on | the RR501, and I came across this: | | >> As compared to the original X10 code in which the relay responds | directly | >> to the RF signal from the remote, with your code in the PIC, only | the | >> power line command controls the relay, which of course is a better | >> design. | >

| > A free benefit of full-duplex operation... | | I don't get it. Why would you want the relay to NOT respond when you | send the RF command for it?

You wouldn't want the relay to not respond; that's not what the poster meant.

| Or is the issue here that the RR501 | normally doesn't send the unit 1 code on the wire, so other devices on | unit 1 never hear it?

No, it sends it to the wire. But it also has to special-case the code associated with the relay because it doesn't monitor its own wire transmissions.

| Does full-duplex in this case mean that the | modified RR501 puts the code on the wire, then reads its own broadcast | and flips the integrated relay?

Yes.

Dan Lanciani ddl@danlan.*com

Reply to
Dan Lanciani

I don't understand how you would know this, or why you would care. Does it behave differently at all? Can you tell how it's implemented without disassembling the PIC code?

Reply to
bcboy

Cabling-Design.com Forums website is not affiliated with any of the manufacturers or service providers discussed here. All logos and trade names are the property of their respective owners.