Timer recommendation for porch lights

Hi All,

I'd appreciate any recommendations for a good, safe timer switch for porch lights.

I recently tried out the Intermatic 15 Amp 120/240/277 Volt Digital 7-Day Programmable Time Switch only to find that it heats up! (the lights on the other side were two 60W bulbs).

I like all the features that the Intermatic had but was disappointed with the excessive heat. BTW, the rating (volts,amps and power) matched the ordinary switch that I had on there before.

Thanks in Advance,

John

Reply to
John Shepard
Loading thread data ...

Assuming your timer is the SS8, it looks like it has a lot of capability. I would not be surprised that the unit is warm. It probably uses a couple of watts of power itself. Your wall box may be plastic, which is a poor conductor of heat. If so, most of the heat dissipation has to come out through the front panel, and it will be warm to the touch.

Because the unit is rated for 15A, it must use a relay to switch the load. It shouldn't matter whether you have 120 watt load or a 1200 watt load. But if the unit does not use a latching relay, then there will be some additional temperature rise when the relay is actuated and the load is on.

The older motorized timers probably dissipate less power, but they certainly don't have the capability that the newer digital timers have.

Reply to
Jeff Volp

"John Shepard" wrote in

There are a lot of components inside that switch, if it's similar to the one someone (was that you?) from Canada posted the PDF schematic link for a month or so ago. You're likely to find any such switch generates heat. There are a number of things you can do to dissipate the heat.

First, I'd measure the current temperature with a thermometer. I keep a < $10 Ratshack indoor/outdoor model with a plastic encapsulated probe for just such jobs. If you're in the northern hemisphere, you're likely to record the maximum temperature for such a device right about this time of year, which is excellent.

When you've got an idea of how hot it runs, with the wallplate on, preferably, then you know whether it's really a fire hazard (does it exceed its label rating?) and whether your modifications had an effect. Pull the switch and knock out any remaining knockouts you can from the wallbox (breakers OFF, please!) to assure good airflow around the switch. Remove, if you can, insulation above and below the switch and to the side away from the stud. In many new houses the wallboxes retain heat better than your kitchen oven!

Some wallboxes can be partially disassembled, even when still attached to a stud. If it's the only box or the box furthest from the stud, you may be able to mount a passive heatsink like the ones found on most PC's. Some lamp dimmers put out an alarming amount of heat, but are within code if the heat doesn't exceeding the rating that should be found somewhere on the switch body.

I'd measure the temp first, though, to find out whether you may have a duff unit that Intermatic would replace for free. They should at least be made aware that you're unhappy about the heat output. Being able to tell them it's running at 140F when it's only rated for 120F might stimulate a replacement unit from them, gratis.

Do you have any X-10 switches or any other non-mechanical switches? I ask because you may not be aware how much heat anything except a traditional mechanical flip switch can generate in a confined space. All these devices require a power supply to convert AC to DC at low voltage, and that means heat gets generated.

Oh, if you're not using one now, switching to a metal wallplate will help dissipate even more heat from the switch.

I'm just afraid if you switch to an X-10 switch, you'll see the same kind of heat problems.

-- Bobby G.

Reply to
Robert Green

Did you use all the features? What about a plain photocell switch mounted on/near the lights, which is what I use?

Reply to
Andrew Gabriel

NO NO NO!!!

The reason you are required to use wall boxes for wiring is to keep possible sparks and wall cavity debris separated. By improving "airflow" you are also improving the chances for a fire.

The National Electrical Code requires that all unused box openings to be closed. This is stated in FOUR places 110-12(a), 370-17(a), 370-18 and

373-4.
Reply to
Lewis Gardner

Thanks - is there an established electrical rating/code that would help me understand whether the heat dissapation is within a normal range?

John

Reply to
John Shepard

Hi, I thought of that - the only thing is that sometimes I like to have the lights on/off when the photocell may want them off/on... (consider christmas time etc).

John

Reply to
John Shepard

Whoops, my bad!

-- Bobby G.

Reply to
Robert Green

I was going to jump on that one myself.

Since this is for porch lights, it's probably in an exterior wall surrounded by insulation. So there will be virtually no dissipation inside the wall. Any heat must come out through the front. The metal wall plate suggested by another poster may be the best that can be done easily.

When we had this house built, I specified that all wall boxes that might be used for X10 switches would be metal. I never noticed any warm wall plates. But then most lights that switch on automatically at night are compact fluorescents controlled by relay wall switches. So the dissipation is minimal.

Reply to
Jeff Volp

I understand normal "romex" wire shouldn't be exposed to temperatures in excess of 60C, or 140F. That's pretty hot - can't keep your hand on it.

Jeff

Reply to
Jeff Volp

I got one of these for my outdoor light and one for an indoor light. Have one for Christmas lights too that is rated for higher amps. It was one of the greatest finds I have found for my house in a long time.

Reply to
gary

Have you experienced any heat from the units?

John

Reply to
John Shepard

Reply to
gary

Cabling-Design.com Forums website is not affiliated with any of the manufacturers or service providers discussed here. All logos and trade names are the property of their respective owners.