the light bulb police are coming

My point exactly. It's interesting to see that if the "shoe is on the other foot", you support the kind of response that attempts to "correct misrepresentations". However, when they concern *you*, you're very quick (as are a number of others here) to view that as a "personal attack" (and then respond as if it were).

The same can be said of some of *your* comments.

The same can be said of some of *your* comments.

So it's "OK" for Marc to do this, but not others... Interesting.

Interesting tactic. I think it's called "hit and run". I also think it's cowardly (and that's *not* a flame).

Reply to
Frank Olson
Loading thread data ...

Gee, nothing like a completely off-topic discussion to bring Frank out from under his rock.

Give it a rest, if you're not going to contribute to the content, don't just use it as a leverage to bash Bass. While it hardly seems possible, it only makes you look like more of a fool than ever.

Reply to
Bill Kearney

I don't dispute any of the quoted percentages for residential energy usage for lighting, but it is important to remember that residential lighting is typically used at night, when commercial and industrial consumption often hit their lowest levels. In the case of hydro or nuclear power my opinion is that little energy savings will be made from CFL in homes, but we may save some coal.

I do use a CFL lamps for outdoor lighting and in my recessed cans in the family room - and they take more like 3 minutes to fully brighten up. Still I like 'em, and they run a lot cooler which is good in the warm months.

Mark - you're a hoot ;-)

John

Reply to
John, SW Missouri

Gee, there's nothing like a response to Robert (by me) to bring Bill out from under his rock. :-)

I wasn't "bashing Bass". I was merely pointing out that everything he said about Dave could be said of him as well. I also don't agree with his newest "tactic" which involves "hit and run" flames.

Reply to
Frank Olson

I 'suspect', as we say around here, that some folks may soon be wishing that their 3-year-old CFLs _would_ fail prematurely ;-)

Some inexpensive and widely available CFLs apparently improve on recent predecessors in most areas of concern.

A $1.70 n:vision 2700K color temperature (incandescent-like) CFL from Home Depot was cooled down to 0F (-18F) in the freezer and then turned on. It went to within 1/3 stop of full brightness measured with a Zone VII-modified Pentax spotmeter in about 50 seconds.

Starting at room temperature, they reach full brightness much more quickly

-- effectively right away as far as my perception is concerned. By the time my pupils and other perceptual cues adjust, they are essentially up to full brightness. The residual perceived increase in brightness is minor (but the increase is still easily measurable with a light meter). If I weren't attuned to the warm up, I probably would not have noticed. Faster than my old four-foot T-12 shop fluorescents.

Did you mean to spell that with a "c" ?

If so, I'm afraid that you've mistaken me for someone else.

I am *not* the "coot" ;-)

... Marc Marc_F_Hult

formatting link

Reply to
Marc_F_Hult

"cooled down to 0F (-18F) in the freezer"

Should, of course, be (-18C) not "(-18F) ".

... Marc

Reply to
Marc_F_Hult

Cabling-Design.com Forums website is not affiliated with any of the manufacturers or service providers discussed here. All logos and trade names are the property of their respective owners.