Testing 1 2 3 Anyone here for an x10 question?

As traffic on this NG has been slow, to say the least, I thought I'd ask a question about some x10 problems. I have an XPCR amplifier/repeater installed in my house near the breaker panel, with its own breaker. I use an 1132CU to control all my stuff. I think the XPCR is repeating the signals and colliding with other signals coming from the 1132, i.e. the

1132 sends several x10 commands sequentially, however they seem to collide with the repeated stuff from the XPCR. I've tried to put 1 second delays in the 1132 to compensate, however, I still seem to get collisions. Example ... today the 1132 sent a "c14 on" to ring the chime module. The 1132 in monitor mode saw the command, however, the chime never sounded. Early this morning, it worked perfectly. Any ideas?
Reply to
Art Todesco
Loading thread data ...

I have pretty much the same config running for years: 1132CU controller with an XPCR at the breaker panel. In addition, my 1132CU is plugged into Jeff Volp's XTB booster. Well over a dozen x10 lamp & appliance modules littered throughout the house. I don't have any delays in the

1132. Never had any problem with collisions with this setup.

Almost all my reliability issues have been traced to signal strength, not collisions. Luckily I have access to an x10 signal meter.

Long ago, I did have a problem that was traced to a flaky TM751 RF module. It seemed to be occasionally belching out x10 signals to the powerline. Replacing that module cured the problem.

Reply to
JustFred

Junk your XPCR and get a Jeff Volp XTB-IIR repeater. I know it will cost you, but I did it and my problems went away. Regards...Jerry Albin

Reply to
jeralbin

I've always wanted to get an XTB-IIR, however, it's always looked a bit rich for me, even thought I've heard very good things about it. I had an XPCR in my old house, which was a more urban location. The unit worked poor at best. It sent all kinds of random X10 signals, apparently triggered by line noise. I tried 2 units and finally gave up. Here, in a very rural environment, it works well for the most part. But, I have seen some really weird, unexplainable problems. My question is, did you get the kit or the fully assembled unit? Also, in the XTB-IIB literature, it mentions that it might not play well with the 1132 due to amplifying line noise. Link:

formatting link
... here's the quote: "Both the XTB-II, and the XTB-IIR include a bandpass amplifier for X10 return signals. The XTB-II used the cost-effective workhorse LM318 for that amplifier, but the XTB-IIR uses a significantly more expensive Analog Devices AD817 to obtain the best possible performance. In addition, the XTB-IIR includes a gain switch to allow it to receive very weak signals in a relatively noise-free environment, while providing the ability to recover stronger X10 levels in the presence of high background noise. The bandpass filter will attenuate out-of-band noise, but line transients can still make it through, and are amplified. Devices sensitive to noise, such as the PowerLinc 1132, may not work well with any of the XTB units."

Is this not a problem? Thanks again ... maybe we can get this group going again ... there was always a lot of good info when it was active.

Reply to
Art Todesco

My setup has the 1132 plugged directly "atop" the (original version) XTB. Although I have a number of macros in the 1132, they're all triggered by the 1132 itself. None of them are ever triggered by other x10 controllers in the house. My 1132 also doesn't depend on the status returned from any x10 devices. As a result, my 1132 doesn't much care about returned/amplified noise by the XTB (which might get incorrectly interpreted as x10 codes).

Reply to
JustFred

"I've always wanted to get an XTB-IIR, however, it's always looked a bit rich for me, even thought I've heard very good things about it. I had an XPCR in my old house, which was a more urban location. The unit worked poor at best. It sent all kinds of random X10 signals, apparently triggered by line noise. I tried 2 units and finally gave up. Here, in a very rural environment, it works well for the most part. But, I have seen some really weird, unexplainable problems. My question is, did you get the kit or the fully assembled unit? Also, in the XTB-IIB literature, it mentions that it might not play well with the 1132 due to amplifying line noise."

I got the assembled unit. That way you know it WILL work. I only do simple PCBs. I have a 1132cu connected to my old XP Dell for Smart Home software. I don 't seem to have any problems with the XTB-IIR. You should really direct XTB

-IIR questions to Jeff Volp. I'm not qualified to answer your question. Jef f is a great guy and will help you out. BTW, don't forget to use X10 filter s on ALL wall warts, TV's, computers, printers, etc. or get 2 of Jeff Volps filter units. Ask me how I know...GRIN.. Regards...Jerry Albin

Reply to
jeralbin

Cabling-Design.com Forums website is not affiliated with any of the manufacturers or service providers discussed here. All logos and trade names are the property of their respective owners.