Terminal Program for control system programmers

I have written a program for control system programmers. Below text is from the Readme file that accompanies the software. Please let me know if you are interestedand I'll send you a copy.

######################################################## HatcheTerm was written and Copyrighted in 2006 by Rick McNeely. All Rights Reserved.

HatcheTerm-Lite v1.0b IS FREE! HatcheTerm v1.0b offers NO WARRANTEE, EITHER EXPRESS OR IMPLIED. USE AT YOUR OWN RISK! Neither the Program file nor this file (ReadMe.txt) may be modified in any way without the express permission of the Author. This file (ReadMe.txt) MUST be included with any distribution of HatcheTerm.

HatcheTerm-Pro IS NOT FREE! HatcheTerm-Pro is an advanced Version of HatcheTerm-Pro and will be released soon. A free Windows Version Upgrade will be available to registered users of HatcheTerm-Pro.

Email me at the following address and I'll keep you informed about program updates, etc. Your email address will be used for no other purpose whatsoever, nor will it be sold/rented/leased/given/folded/spindled/mutilated/etc.

snipped-for-privacy@gmail.com

==================================

>WHY HATCHETERM?

HatcheTerm was written to give control system programmers a useful tool to aid in the understanding of various control protocols.

In my own work, I have found 'Normal' terminal/telnet programs severely lacking when it comes to the needs of control system programmers. The devices we work with require a blend of Hex and Text that normal software simply doesn't address. An example of this might be Panasonic's 'ON' command for some if their projectors:

AMX Command: " $02, 'PON', $03 "

How would this be sent in a normal Terminal/Telnet Program? It can't. But such a command is easy in HatcheTerm. Simply set the Line-Terminator option to 'None'(See Command Shortcuts Below), (we don't want CRLF appended to Panasonic commands). Then type in:

$02PON$03

Hit the 'Enter' key. Did the projector turn on?

It really is that easy. Once you find the correct command string, CTRL-Tab into Netlinx-Studio and select Paste. HatcheTerm pastes the pre-formatted control string into your program! How cool is that!

Using the Panasonic examples above:

1. Start HatcheTerm and connect to the Panasonic device. 2. Figure out the correct command string for the command you want to use. In this example, that would be: PON. 3. Paste the already formatted string into your program. " , 'PON', "

>PASSTHROUGH

HatcheTerm allows pass-through operation. What the heck is that?, you might well ask! The 'Control-Port' connects to the device you want to control. The 'Remote-Port' connects to anything else (think Netlinx Controller, or PC with Control Program loaded). Thus, you can watch data pass through the program to the device under control. You can see which commands are working and which are not, and you can see these commands in the format that you desire!

HatcheTerm allows pass-through operation in the following modes:

Serial to Serial Serial to TCP/IP TCP/IP to TCP/IP TCP/IP to Serial

>COMMAND MEMORY

There's nothing more annoying than typing in a long Hex string, hitting 'Enter' and realizing that you made a boo-boo. HatcheTerm remembers the last twenty-five commands you typed, even after you close the program! Just use the cursor up/down keys to scroll through them, then edit the command or just hit 'Enter'.

>PORTABILITY

HatcheTerm doesn't need to be installed. Just copy and run! HatcheTerm even runs directly from a thumb drive!

>OTHER

HatcheTerm is TINY! Less than 90k, as of this writing. You could put it on a 1-Gig thumb drive over 11,000 times! In addition, HatcheTerm doesn't need to be installed. Just copy and run!

HatcheTerm is an awesome tool when used in conjunction with Netlinx Studio's 'Passthrough' mode. It offers an easy way to test everything in the system but your program. Give it a try!

HatcheTerm works on all of the USB to Serial Converters that I have tried. Not guaranteed to work on any particular device.

================================== COMMAND SHORTCUTS ==================================

CTRL-D = Display Format Changes 'Display Format' to display incoming Control-Port data in Text-Mode, Hex-Mode or Mixed Text+Hex Mode

CTRL-R = Echo Remote Displays incoming Remote-Port data on the screen. Useful in situations where the device on the Control-Port does not echo incoming data.

CTRL-S = Setup Takes User to the 'Setup' page.

CTRL-T = Line Terminator Changes Line-Terminator to 'Carriage-Return + Line Feed' or 'Carriage-Return' or Nothing.

CTRL-Q = Quit Duh...

F1 = Help

================================== SHORT FAQ ==================================

Q: Why is HatcheTerm run in a "DOS" Window? A: It's Not! HatcheTerm runs in a 32-Bit Console window. And the reason it does that is SPEED. When data is converted 'on-the-fly' as it is in HatcheTerm, alot of processing power is consumed. Applications run in console windows are simply faster.

Q: I hate that console window! The fonts are TINY! A: Fonts-size/Window-size can be changed easily by using the Console-button in the upper left-hand corner of the program. Simply select Properties/Font-Tab and make your selection. The program will use your selection everytime it runs.

Q: Man, it would be great if HatcheTerm would blah blah blah... A: Hey! My email address is at the top. Send me your suggestions.

Q: I was doing XYZ and the program locked/quit/etc... A: This is a Beta version! AND HATCHETERM-LITE IS FREE! You get what you pay for! Seriously, while HatcheTerm is pretty darned stable, it isn't perfect. I am working to correct a few known bugs and when these are fixed, I will notify you and you can get the latest version.

Q: I like cheese! A: Dammit! So do I! If you want to reward me in any way, send me a can of Cheese-Whiz, 'The Aerosol Cheese preferred by Pretty People!'.

================================== TODO ==================================

Drink Beer.

Reply to
rickmcneely
Loading thread data ...

Cabling-Design.com Forums website is not affiliated with any of the manufacturers or service providers discussed here. All logos and trade names are the property of their respective owners.