Temperature Concerns

Due to existing wiring, it would be easiest to recess a structured wiring boxes for RG-6 distribution and an alarm box on an external garage wall. The building is located in the high desert, comparable to Yuma. Garage is insulated, it's a north facing wall with minimal shade, but is still a bit of an oven during the summer,

I am worried about cooking components like the cable distribution amplifier and the main board and battery of the alarm. I could do a brief thermal study, but the local temps are still not summer like.

Anyone have any experience with this?

Thanks

Reply to
Steve
Loading thread data ...

Um, gee. Nope. No experience at all. Like Yuma huh?

Seriously, "basic" alarm panels can really take some heat. I've got a couple installed in customer atics where it hits 150-160 that have been working for years. Amplifiers can't take the heat. They need a cooler environment. Some of your other components may flake as well. I've seen routers and switches that were heat sensitive also. Since you said structured wiring there is no telling what might be in that box eventually. I would go with an interior wall in a closet. I hate working in closets, but atleast you won't be getting radiated heat baking on an outside wall of it.

A north facing wall is better than another wall, but... whatever the temp is in the garage will be close to the temp in your box.

Reply to
Bob La Londe

north side shouldn't be all too bad. does Yuma get hot? nah

| >

| >

| > I am worried about cooking components like the cable distribution | > amplifier and the main board and battery of the alarm. I could do a brief | > thermal study, but the local temps are still not summer like. | >

| >

| >

| > Anyone have any experience with this? | | Um, gee. Nope. No experience at all. Like Yuma huh? | | Seriously, "basic" alarm panels can really take some heat. I've got a | couple installed in customer atics where it hits 150-160 that have been | working for years. Amplifiers can't take the heat. They need a cooler | environment. Some of your other components may flake as well. I've seen | routers and switches that were heat sensitive also. Since you said | structured wiring there is no telling what might be in that box eventually. | I would go with an interior wall in a closet. I hate working in closets, | but atleast you won't be getting radiated heat baking on an outside wall of | it. | | A north facing wall is better than another wall, but... whatever the temp | is in the garage will be close to the temp in your box. | | | -- | Sincerly, | The guy who makes the final decision on who we buy from. | Bob La Londe | | The Security Consultant | Bob La Londe - Owner | P.O. Box 5720 | Yuma, Az 85366 | | (928) 782-9765 ofc | (928) 782-7873 fax | | Licensed Contractor | ROC103044 & ROC103047 | | | | -- | Posted via a free Usenet account from

formatting link
|

Reply to
Crash Gordon

"Yeah, but it's dry heat", quipped a marine just before the Aliens attacked (in the movie "Aliens"). :-)

Reply to
Frank Olson

I thought that the town got its name from the last words a Buffalo soldier said to his fleeing commanding officer when the soldier realized he'd been led into an Indian ambush; just at the same time an arrow hit him in the back. He yelled "You Ma......." and so the town was named by the commanding officer out of respect for that soldier.

Reply to
Roland Moore

Cabling-Design.com Forums website is not affiliated with any of the manufacturers or service providers discussed here. All logos and trade names are the property of their respective owners.