Super simple IR Repeater

Hi all.

I can not believe i can not find this! :)

What I'm looking for is a simple cable with a IR reciever in the one end, and an emitter in the other. No batteries or anything. It should just take the IR signal, send it through the wire and then emit it to a tuner box i have in a closet 10 feet from my tv.

Can anyone point me in the right direction ?

Regards

Reply to
sharedpp
Loading thread data ...

A proposed solution within your constraints might be found in newsgroups that specialize in perpetual motion and cold fusion ....

A conventional IR 'receiver' is not a current source (consider it a light-operated switch). It can't directly power an IR LED emitter without a source of electricity to switch.

If you relax the requirement to allow the use of an optical fiber instead of the "wire" that you specify, you may be able to accomplish what you want using a length of optical fiber by gluing or otherwise affixing the ends of the fiber directly to the emitter and receiver that you want to interconnect.

... Marc Marc_F_Hult

formatting link

Reply to
Marc_F_Hult

Because it doesn't exist. There needs to be power to drive the IR receiver on one end and power again to drive the emitter on the other. There are any number of different makers of IR networking devices. There are even some that will piggyback their signals on to an existing coax cable. None of which are cheap, not hideously expensive, but not free either.

Reply to
Bill Kearney

Bill Kearney skrev:

Ah, ok then. Thanks for bearing over with me :) Now i see why i couldn't find it..

Would it then be possible to solder an extending wire to my current setup ? (which is the IR reciever in a Hauppauge WinTV PVR USB2 Tuner)

Reply to
sharedpp

Possibly. is there a wire on it already? Perhaps you could find an extension rather than cutting and soldering.

How long is the USB cable? Can likely go a meter or so without problem, perhaps even longer.

sdb

Reply to
sylvan butler

You might be better served asking these questions on sites like

formatting link
and
formatting link
These are two websites that focus on remote controls (the IR stuff) and audio/visual systems (the stuff you're controlling).

Reply to
Bill Kearney

If the tuner does not have a jack for an external IR receiver, the simplest solution is an IR extender like X-10's Powermids.

Given that you had to ask, my guess is that adding an external IR receiver to the tuner is a little beyond your skillset but if the tuner uses an IR receiver module, in most cases, you can add another receiver in parallel. The trick is in determining whether it uses an IR receiver (rather than a phototransistor or PIN diode) and then determining the receiver's pinout.

If you look at the datasheet for IR receiver modules, nearly all have an internal pull-up on the data-out line and are active low. Here's an example.

formatting link
formatting link
snipped-for-privacy@yahoogroups.com

Reply to
Dave Houston

The Powermid gives extremely unreliable performance in all but ideal situations. I've tried them in HT setups where the equipment rack was behind a pair of wooden doors in the same room as the transmitter and found they worked only about 50% of the time.

It's not rocket science. There are ready made, wired solutions available from companies like Xantech which are extremely reliable. The 490-00 "Microlink" kit comes with an IR receiver, emitter, connecting block and power supply. Required skillset includes ability to read instructions and use a screwdriver. The 490-00 is for in-wall, ceiling or cabinet installation but there are other models which either sit on top of one's equipment cabinet or stick on any convenient surface.

The above is an unnecessary exercise unless you want to build your own unit. With ready made solutions from several manufacturers (Xantech is the best known but there are others) even most avid DIYers don't bother modifying and possible killing the warranty of their gear.

Reply to
Robert L Bass

I understand now. (Had you first specified what you _had_, we coulda/woulda gotten there sooner ;-)

*If* your WinTV PVR USB has a plug-in IR receiver similar to the one on my WinTV PVR PCI tuner, all you need is a simple 3.5mm female-to-male extension such as what is used for (eg) mono headphones.

And if this is the case, what you want is not a "repeater", but rather an "extension" like this:

formatting link
available from a 100K places.

And yes, you could instead cut and solder, and insulate an extension wire.

HTH ... Marc Marc_F_Hult

formatting link

Reply to
Marc_F_Hult

Robert L Bass skrev:

companies like Xantech which are extremely reliable.

block and power supply. Required skillset includes

in-wall, ceiling or cabinet installation but there are other

convenient surface.

Thanks for all the answers. After looking at the links, I can see that soldering etc. isn't for me :) And unfortunenately my USB does doesn't have a IR plug, so that wont work either.

I'll look around for the x10, but most probably I'll take R L B's advice and try to find the Xantech in my country. That should also give my some flexabilty if i want to move thing around later.

Reply to
sharedpp

There's no Xantech office in Denmark (where I assume you are located based on your IP address). However, the URL below lists a number of European distributors. I'm sure one of them will be willing to assist. Best of luck.

Reply to
Robert L Bass

Doh! That post would have been more useful if I'd actually remembered to include the URL. Here it is:

formatting link

Reply to
Robert L Bass

from companies like Xantech which are extremely reliable.

block and power supply. Required skillset includes

in-wall, ceiling or cabinet installation but there are other

convenient surface.

Ignore any "advice" from rlb - he sells Xantech and is generally incompetent on technical matters.

If you cannot find the Powermids locally, google on "IR extender" and you'll find similar products from several manufacturers - all far less expensive than anything from Xantech.

formatting link
snipped-for-privacy@yahoogroups.com

Reply to
Dave Houston

Better yet, ignore Dave. He's apparently on some jag again with nothing better to do that post anything that attempts to oppose Bass. Robert's not always right or unbiased but he does go a fair bit out of his way in this newsgroup to post useful information. Dave knows quite a lot, and also helps, but oy, this latest bunch of crap is just annoying.

Then count your blessings as the powermids are absolute garbage and a complete waste of your time. Run, do not walk, away from that stupid idea.

I've used a great many IR extender devices. Xantech might not be the least expensive but it works. The last thing you want when dealing with remotes is hassles. Getting decent IR networking gear goes a long way to saving you TIME and aggravation.

Reply to
Bill Kearney

Unfortunately, Mr. Houston frequently resorts to personal insults when disagreeing over technical matters. It devalues the quality and utility of this newsgroup. One hopes the OP is able to see through the personal animosity and benefit from the information offered.

I don't market outside the USA. It's too much hassle. That is why I referred the gentleman to Xantech's European reps. As to competency, Mr Houston is only partially right. I sell Xantech. I've worked with their products for years. It sometimes costs more than Powermid but based on actual experience using the products, I believe

The problem is that the Powermid, no matter where the gentleman might find it, is a poor quality device that gives intermittent service in all but the best of environments. Yes, it is cheaper than Xantech. Unfortunately, it is of such low quality that it does not represent a bargain.

Reply to
Robert L Bass

Cabling-Design.com Forums website is not affiliated with any of the manufacturers or service providers discussed here. All logos and trade names are the property of their respective owners.