Starting point for newbie

Hi Y'All,

I'm based in the UK and am about to get my whole house re-wired, so I thought it would be a good time to invest in home automation. If you were about to undertake such a move, regardless of what your current setup is, what would y'all invest in now, and where are the best sources of objective information? I'm reasonable tech-savvy - build my own PC etc...

Thanks, AD

Reply to
Ano Domini
Loading thread data ...

If you're going to rewire the electrical system anyway, you might want to consider CentraLite or OnQ. Both offer lighting controls that are compatible with systems from multiple sources. That will leave your options open somewhat.

As to controllers, give the ELK-M1G system a browse. It's robust, flexible and compatible with numerous lighting, HVAC and appliance systems. HAI is a competitor of ELK. They also make a very flexible HA system that you should consider.

By the way, most Americans don't say "y'all". :^)

Reply to
Robert L Bass

Reply to
Ano Domini

No problem. You can get some good advice (and some garbage) in this newsgroup. Depending on what you want to accomplish, what your budget is and how patient your spouse is, there's not much you can't automate. :^)

Reply to
Robert L Bass

Reply to
Ano Domini

Cabling-Design.com Forums website is not affiliated with any of the manufacturers or service providers discussed here. All logos and trade names are the property of their respective owners.