Starting Computer through X10

Hi;

I am new to X10 and I have a related question that I was hoping you would help me out with. Is there an easy way I could start up my computer by remote? I was thinking about installing an X10 outlet and plugging the computer into it. But I am not sure what I would have to do for the computer's power button. usually if you hold the computer power button in, it will restart the computer so that leaves jumping the switch out. Do you know of anyway I could accomplish this? It would be great to enter the house, have a switch on the wall, click it, and have my computer start up while I change clothes or whatever.

Thanks for any help or ideas.

Pat

Reply to
komobu
Loading thread data ...

The "soft on" power button on your computer is routed to two pins on the motherboard. You could parallel a momentary "on" switch with that (it's very easy to identify). I wouldn't, however, suggest using X-10 because the last thing you want is the computer to "soft off" in the middle of writing a long report which could occur if X-10 experiences a sudden "hick-up". :-)

Reply to
Frank Olson

When starting your computer you can press an F key, usually F2 or F10 - watch for it during boot up - to get into your System BIOS. In there you will find an option to "Auto Restart on Power-Up" or something to that effect. By selecting that the PC will start up when power is applied at the plug - no buttons to push or wiring needed. An X10 Appliance Module will rarely false off but do save your work frequently. Perhaps using a housecode that is otherwise unused will reduce erroneous shut downs.

komobu wrote:

Reply to
bruceR

Thanks for the idea. I tried going into my bios and found what you were referring to. I set it to "Start Up after Power Restored". I then shut the computer down and unplugged it. When I re-plugged it in to power, nothing happened. I am not sure if there is a mother board jumper that I might have to check. Perhaps I will have to do something like Frank suggested. I will check out some of the computer newsgroup forums as well. I hope I can get it to work. I am not interested in shutting it off, only turning it on. I can shut it off easily enough from the mouse.

Pat

Reply to
komobu

Often that option only applies to times when the computer is on when the power is removed. The idea is that an unattended server will come on after a power failure. You "wouldn't want" a machine to come on if you had turned it off and then there was a power failure. (otherwise you might be providing services that you wouldn't expect to be providing.)

Something to consider: If you can find a way to issue a command to shut down the operating system, but not power off the hardware, this might work. On Windows machines, there is probably a registry setting. On Unix machines, you would issue a halt command. On Apple machines, see unix machines. :) (if OSX that is. not sure what to do pre OSX)

Then use use whatever you used to apply power, to unapply the power. This might yield the desired effect.

Reply to
Philip Lewis

i haven't looked lately, but BIOSes often also provided a means to power-up via a time-event. Usually its hidden under the same BIOS page to configure power up on IRQ events (like a modem.) and if only IRQ events (no timer event), perhaps get an old external device to be controlled by X10 which in turn raises the RING line on a commport. And then power up on the IRQ for that commport.

no idea if they still provide that, or only just provide the WAKE-on-LAN feature now days. almost certainly was AWARD bioses. Phoenix bioses and IBM bioses never seem to give anything creatively useful.

-k

Reply to
ken

Some BIOS have both what you saw AND an Auto Power ON. With the latter, the power comes on as soon as you plug it in. What BIOS version do have?

Reply to
bruceR

See if your PC's bios has a "start on ring" feature. If so, it will be probably be relatively simple to rig up a few components to provide a simulated telephone ring controlled by an X10 Appliance Module or X10 Universal Module.

Reply to
Charles Sullivan

Cabling-Design.com Forums website is not affiliated with any of the manufacturers or service providers discussed here. All logos and trade names are the property of their respective owners.