Stargate Vs other home controllers?

Additional information from ELK regarding the M1XEP module...

The XEP will broadcast the M1 packets to all open connections. If you make a TCP connection, you can use the standard ASCII protocol. The protocol documentation is available on Elk's website at

formatting link
Let me know if you have further questions.

Reply to
Robert L. Bass
Loading thread data ...

programming

It seems useful to remember that programming a personal computer is getting harder and harder -- not easier.

Z80 assembler, TPASCAL, FORTRAN-IV/77, GW/QBASIC, FORTH -- OK; After that .... ;-)

More seriously, any program that breaks if a comma is missing (see second line of your code), is too rigid to be useful to 'most folks'.

And an environment that doesn't intrinsically check for errors and inconsistencies will lead to inevitably lead to programming errors with realistically complex/complete rules . This constitutes "broken" as far as most homeowners are concerned and is/can be, for the population as a whole, dangerous.

... Marc Marc_F_Hult

Reply to
MFHult

Well, I agree with you there, because I was not suggesting C-Max for the population as a whole, part, or anybody other than the original poster. My implicit comparison was with the Stargate. I don't have much experience with the Stargate, but do you really think there's a large segment of the population that would be able to program the Stargate but not the Ocelot?

- Mark.

Reply to
Mark Thomas

I am confident that most folks can access at least part of Stargate's functions once it is 'installed' (and there are dealers that will 'install' it for a homeowner) in part because it uses conventional interfaces. For example, Stargate can natively communicate with conventional-looking thermostats that grandma would probably be able to use if she comes to house sit.

An Ocelot, on the other hand does absolutely nothing whatever right "out of the box", and without connection to other gizmos like a PC for programming, can't and never will. *Much* harder to find an "installer" for an Ocelot, seems to me.

But with respect the OP, I agree with you that either Ocelot or Stargate programming should be eminently useable and CMAX itself should not be a problem for the original poster. The comment made (by you? I think) that you don't *need* to use CMAX because one can access the hardware I/O leaves unused most/much of the capacity of an Ocelot. It is true though that this is how (last I knew) HA PC software other than CMAX interacts with the Ocelot. This is not a limitation of all HA hardware controllers.

... Marc Marc_F_Hult

Reply to
Marc F Hult

The "XEP" will *not* do what you say. The Elk panel will communicate with the "XEP" using ASCII strings but will not forward those strings to allow remote control or interface with another HA system. That feature is available through the onboard RS232 port and doesn't require an additional module. It's quite obvious to me that you haven't read the manual for the M1XEP, and don't understand what it does. It's also quite obvious to me that you've *not* conversed with ELK Technical Support concerning this issue (as you indicated in a previous post). If you're going to provide technical help on a product, I'd suggest you familiarize yourself with it before you wind up with both shoes wedged firmly in your mouth.

Reply to
Frank Olson

Actually, that was what ELK said. I discussed this with ELK before posting to make sure I was giving good advice. Somehow I suspect they know the device better than you.

One of the benefits of being an ELK distributor is the opportunity to develop a close working relationship with their engineering staff and the sales and support folks. They're one of the best companies I work with. Not being a dealer and not having access to an M1 Gold, you might not be aware of that. Rather than spout about something you've never even seen, you should discuss the matter with ELK. That will make you appear less... well, never mind.

Reply to
Robert L Bass

Interesting. With whom did you "discuss" this (at Elk, I mean)??

There you go again... Filling a Newsgroup with suppositions and innuendo. You know nothing about me or my business.

That's funny!! I walk past an Elk Keypad every day (two in fact - one just inside the garage entry door and one in my foyer).

prone to post errors, unsubstantiated "factoids", innuendo and lies?? I'm way ahead of you on that score, Robbie...

Have fun in Bahia. Hopefully the "staff" you have looking after your store here will be less inclined to post drivel while you're gone...

Reply to
Frank Olson

Cabling-Design.com Forums website is not affiliated with any of the manufacturers or service providers discussed here. All logos and trade names are the property of their respective owners.