Splitting a CCTV signal to two monitors

Hi, Is it possible to use an ordinary BNC T-splitter (one female, two male) to split the signal from a camera so that I can watch the video from a CCTV camera on a monitor while also capturing it on a computer with a capture card? Or would I need more sophisticated electronics?

Thanks very much

Henry Hallam

Reply to
Henry Hallam
Loading thread data ...

Yes, it's possible to split it that way although you will lose some of the strength of the video signal because both devices are terminated with a 75 ohm resistor. If one of the devices allows you to disable the

75 ohm load then that would be best, but I find the drop of splitting a signal once, to be tolerable. Another option is to buy an actual video splitter, or you could always remove the 75 ohm resistor from one of your devices :)
Reply to
junk01

Most professional video monitors have selectable termination to switch the

75-Ohm in or out as needed. Most pro grade units have a feed through connection to allow viewing while passing the signal on to either another monitor or a recording device.

If the camera isn't junk (eg, X10) you can split the signal two ways without discernable loss. Ordinary video splitters don't amplify the signal so they won't be any better and some can even make things a little worse.

Reply to
Robert L. Bass

He only has one camera. The looping feed through (looping) output of the monitor will work fine for his needs.

That is precisely what the gentleman asked for.

Reply to
Robert L. Bass

It's called a "looping output". On most DVR's or multiplexers the "looping output" is used to go to another device such as a monitor which remains

*fixed* on the one camera. You could loop all the inputs on some multiplexers to go to a second remote multiplexer at a guard shack for instance. The looping output on a monitor will only allow you to "see" what the first monitor does without any control over the camera input (if the second monitor's remote from the multiplexer). On a single camera system that wouldn't be a problem, but when you have more than two cameras you may want to exercise more "control" over what you see on the second monitor.
Reply to
Frank Olson

I wasn't criticizing your response. I was expanding on it to include the proper terminology. If you feel my response was inappropriate (in light of the discussion we were having in another thread) then that's an issue you're going to have to deal with. I do try to ensure my explanations are as detailed as possible. For instance, when I instruct someone to "turn off" or remove the power from a panel, I usually include the correct sequence for disconnecting AC and battery in accordance with the manufacturer's recommendations.

Reply to
Frank Olson

Cabling-Design.com Forums website is not affiliated with any of the manufacturers or service providers discussed here. All logos and trade names are the property of their respective owners.