Simple in-wall button to IR interface ?

Hi,

I'm looking for the simplest/cheapest way to have some kind of keypad in my kitchen that will let me relay infrared signals to a receiver in my basement.

I simply need volume buttons, and a couple of buttons that will let me select the source from the receiver (CD, AUX for example).

I've seen the Xantech keypads, but I can't believe that such keypads need to cost over $300 just to send infrared signals.

Is there a cheaper solution out there ?

Thanks.

Reply to
snakedjip
Loading thread data ...

Thanks for the reply...

But I forgot to mention that I'd like a hardwired solution... in-wall preferably...

I was wondering : since I'll have a PC nearby, another solution would be to have some kind of software installed on the PC that would let me (first, learn, and then) emit whatever IR code I want... Does software like this exist ? How does one connect an IR blaster to a PC ?

Reply to
snakedjip

Use the existing remote or a cheap clone and use the X10 PowerMid to wirelessly send the IR from the kitchen to the basement. Retail cost is about $50 but you can find them for less (try ebay).

From: snipped-for-privacy@yahoo.com snipped-for-privacy@yahoo.com

Reply to
BruceR

Hi

Check out the link for a usb based ir transciever.......Would require

software such as Girder or maybe xPL (which is free which has a uirt

plugin)

xPL can also be used to control mp3 players such as Rio,s Slimp3

,Exstreamers... and lots of other stufff ...Have a good read of the xPL

site..

formatting link
formatting link

HTH Frank

Reply to
Frank Mc Alinden

Cabling-Design.com Forums website is not affiliated with any of the manufacturers or service providers discussed here. All logos and trade names are the property of their respective owners.