Simple Dialing Program

I have a Windows XP laptop with SP2 on it. It has a pretty standard modem built into it. I'd like to write a batch program that picks up the line, dials a series of numbers, #'s. and *'s, waits a while, and then hangs up. Can someone help or point me in the right direction? Thanks.

Reply to
EdwardATeller
Loading thread data ...

google "war dialer"

Reply to
Bob Fish

Thanks, but I'd prefer to write it myself. Found a list of Hayes- compatible commands, and now I'm stuck on exactly how to put them in a batch file so that the modem knows I'm speaking to it.

BTW, the application is to turn on and turn off Vonage's Do Not Disturb feature. It would be nice if Vonage let me a schedule on my user control panel, but they don't, so I am just going to have a spare laptop power up from standby mode, dial the numbers, and then go back to sleep.

Reply to
EdwardATeller

Ah, that's a lot easier.

Put what you want to send out the serial port (*** or ###) into a text file like on.txt and off.txt

Then you can send the contents of the txt file to the serial port that is handling the modem by simply using the copy command from a bat file

copy on.txt com1

replace com1 with the serial port number the modem is attached to (eg com2 com3 com4)

Reply to
Bob Fish

See...

formatting link
There are several DOS programs there that you can use in a batch file to do what you want.

Reply to
dlh

Thanks for the helpful replies. I'll try them when I have some time, but I ended doing this:

I used Hyperterminal (HT) to do the dialing, creating one HT file for

*78,,,1 on and one for *79,,,1. Then I setup an AutoHotKey script to invoke the HT file and press Enter twice. Then I used Task Manager to run "turn off DND" in the morning and "turn on DND" in the evening. TM wakes the laptop from standby to run. I use Slawdog's AutoShutDown to power the cycle the computer once a day to keep things fresh, plus send it into standby after a few minutes of inactivity.

It's a low power laptop that I never use, but it's handy for things like this, and I doubt this setup uses much electricity at all.

Another day, another fun project up and running.

Reply to
EdwardATeller

Cabling-Design.com Forums website is not affiliated with any of the manufacturers or service providers discussed here. All logos and trade names are the property of their respective owners.