Simple access security setup for home

Hi,

I want to rent an appartment by the week and I need to conceive a pretty neat setup to let people in.

I want to have a keypad on the exterior door connected to an access controller that has battery backup.

I will hook up a PC to the controller and feed access codes automatically to it with a program on the computer (probably a linux box) through a serial RS-232 interface.

Do anybody know of a cheap setup that could do this. I only found bigtime solutions for business. Access controllers that handle holidays, 500 codes and up, etc. I just need to feed it a couple of codes (5 max). The computer would update the access controller's list of codes.

I found access controllers that cost 200$ US and keypads that cost 300$ US + electronic strike that cost 300$US.

Are there residential grade components out there?

Reply to
hhcuriosity
Loading thread data ...

That system is about that I need except it's PC independant. It maybe though a more cost effective solution.

Has anymore tried the Keypad and Control Module - SC-20-B ?

formatting link
But aren't there any that can get updated with a PC ?

Reply to
hhcuriosity

The problem with proximity cards is that I wanted to avoid a meeting with the tenants at the start of their stay. I was thinking using a PC with a dedicated connection to the internet and receiving update commands remotely and pushing new codes to the controller (with start dates and expiry dates).

Reply to
hhcuriosity

Reply to
hhcuriosity

No such thing as "residential grade components" when it comes to access control. There's no simple *and secure* solution either, and placing a keypad outside the protected premise isn't a good idea particularly if it's controlling the entry door. Better to go with a proximity reader and keyfobs. You're still looking at paying between $750 and $1000 though. Make sure the controller is mounted *inside* the protected premise, or you're liable to find some savvy guy that'll be able to bypass the system. In other words, shy away from the "all-in-one" solutions that I know are out there. If it's a "rented" premise, you'd best secure the controller in a well protected (*and inaccessible to the tenants*) area.

Reply to
Frank Olson

This one's $80 if it meets your needs:

formatting link
's a self contained system so will be less complex than what you envision.

From: snipped-for-privacy@yahoo.ca snipped-for-privacy@yahoo.ca

Reply to
BruceR

The problem with that system is that all you need is a screw-driver, dismount the keypad and short the contacts to the door switch... You're "in", as they say...

Reply to
Frank Olson

But isn't the little control module inside the home that handles all the 12V switching? Look at this diagram:

formatting link
keypad is connected with a RJ-11 cable. I think all the electrical switching is done on the control module.

Reply to
hhcuriosity

Yeppers! That looks like like. My other point still holds true though... "If it's a "rented" premise, you'd best secure the controller in a well protected (*and inaccessible to the tenants*) area."

Reply to
Frank Olson

Cabling-Design.com Forums website is not affiliated with any of the manufacturers or service providers discussed here. All logos and trade names are the property of their respective owners.