Signal tracer / cable toner recommendations?

My two-part signal tracer / cable toner apparently grew legs. Leastwise I need a new one.

Any recommendations based on experiences (I can google too)? I would like it to be general-purpose including AC, low-voltage and signal wiring and so a flexible jack plug set/system would be desirable if actually useful in practice.

TIA ... Marc Marc_F_Hult

formatting link

Reply to
Marc_F_Hult
Loading thread data ...

Microtest (now Fluke) Microscanner Pro and a Progressive (now Tempo)

200FP are the best I have found. Able to accurately tone a 1 mile 25 pair telephone cable and over 300' cat5e.

The true TDR, wiremap, PC/Hub ID, 10/100 link readout, hub/switch port flash and optional ID kit make the Microscanner worth the additional $$$.

Reply to
Lewis Gardner

Thanks Lewis. I found a used-but-warranted 200FP on ebay for $35 and bought it. As much as I'd like to have access to TDR once again, $500+ for the Fluke Microscanner is beyond my means and need. (TDR can be used for soil-moisture measurement as well as conventional cable-break/testing.)

... Marc Marc_F_Hult

formatting link

Reply to
Marc_F_Hult

Heh, I thought one of mine, the pickup anyway, also "grew legs". But a couple of years later when at a client I'd done some work for previously I happened to find it... right up in the ceiling (drop tiles) where I'd left it. Amazingly enough it still had some life left in the battery!

Reply to
Bill Kearney

Speaking of lost tools, when are we going to have microchips embedded each tool and a reader in the toolbox that complains if one's missing?

Reply to
Jon Woellhaf

Heh, I learned a long time ago to use a tool bag that has specific holders, and to make sure each one was full. That way I'd only have to look at the set and see that everything's present.

Reply to
Bill Kearney

A long time, I fear. I looked into microchipping dogs and it turns out there are several completely incompatible standards in the US and Europe that are used. The DVD plus and minus wars, along with the BluRay and HD DVD wars and the Beta and VHS wars tend to indicate that anything that depends on different manufacturers agreeing to standards isn't going to happen very quickly or easily. But it is a nice idea!

-- Bobby G.

Reply to
Robert Green

Cabling-Design.com Forums website is not affiliated with any of the manufacturers or service providers discussed here. All logos and trade names are the property of their respective owners.