Should be simple but never is, help pls

formatting link
These are designed to do exactly what you want, although I cannot vouch for their reliability. The cheaper X10-brand version of these are not particularly reliable.

- Mark.

Reply to
Mark Thomas
Loading thread data ...

Hello - I would like to install motion detectors on all 4 sides of my house. These motion detectors should only operate dusk to dawn. When motion is sensed on any of the 4 detectors it should trigger all 5 lighting circuits to turn on (Or selectable circuits).

I do not care if its X10 or any other command type solution. I can probably run low voltage wire to each switch or light if necessary.

I do not want batteries in the loop. If a switch replacement is required it must be a toggle style, not a decora style. Dimming is not important, lights are incandescent.

I also want the system to be robust and reliable.

Any suggestions where to look? I've been to smarthome and cant seem to find what I need/want.

Reply to
No

I saw those - I should have been clearer, I want to control existing lighting circiuts, porch lights, etc. I was thinking I could get that setup, times 4, and just use the controller, not the lights.

Thanks for your fast reply.

Reply to
No

Along those same lines, you could get 4 of these:

formatting link
and wire them to a powerflash
formatting link
or for more flexibility, an I/O Linc
formatting link

- Mark.

Reply to
Mark Thomas

I actually have bookmarked that page. How can I use these to have multiple sensors control multiple circuits?? No way I can think of.

Reply to
No

Replace the switches with scene-capable switches, such as togglelincs. Get some motion detectors, wire them up to a programmable security panel which speaks X10, like a caddx or an elk.

Also, you could convert some battery-powered X10 motion detectors to hardwired (solder to the battery terminals), and save yourself the security system interface.

Anyone know of a hardwired X10 motion detector? I don't.

Reply to
E. Lee Dickinson

Agreed - I could re-wire to do what I want to some extent (Make two rear and two front light circuits controlled by one sensor). I may end up with a combination of approaches. Standard hard wired motion sensor on side with existing light. Standard motion sensor flood kit on second side where I have no lights. gang two front light circuits with one sensor, gang two rear lighting circuits on one sensor. They all will not come on together but I will bring on lights when there is movement on that particular side of house.

I was just hoping to avoid re-wiring, having lots of ugly sensors and have something kinda slick and cool. Why do I make things soo difficult? I should just go and buy all new lights with sensor built in!

Reply to
No

Reply to
Dave Houston

X10 makes a hardwired motion detector in two flavors. It's packaged with a pair of floodlights but can be removed and used with any lights you like. The X10 brand is less sophisticated than the Leviton branded version which lets you set them all to the same code and motion detected at one sensor will then turn on lights connected to the other sensors.

formatting link
will take you there but order from
formatting link
to get it for $47.

From:E. Lee Dickinson snipped-for-privacy@firstnamelastname.com

Reply to
BruceR

You might ask your question of the supplier. You would need to gang the circuits in some manner.

I would def>I actually have bookmarked that page. How can I use these to have multiple

Reply to
Dave Houston

IO Linc! I didn't know such a thing existed. I was avoiding the 4 powerflash route... iolink.. hmm. :)

Reply to
E. Lee Dickinson

I'm using 2 of these. They do pretty well catching motion except when it's very hot. Then it is difficult for the sensor to differentiate a moving warm body from the warm ground. Usually when they trip at night, we see a fox or other large animal wandering off.

The one problem we do have with these detectors is that they are sensitive to lightening. I'm not sure what the mechanism is, but they often switch on in response to a flash and remain on until they time out.

Jeff

Reply to
Jeff Volp

Outdoor motions are always prone to false calls due to animals, birds, bugs etc. Even in my detached garage I was forced to use two PIRs wired in parallel to ensure against false calls. Something as simple as a moth landing on one of the sensors would trigger an alarm otherwise.

That said, and understanding that you want to avoid batteries, I'm suggesting you look at these anyway:

formatting link
I've used these with great success and the batteries last a LONG time.

The wireless receiver has a set of contacts you can use to trigger whatever you want. Only a single set of contacts however.

As far as limiting alarms outside a certain time period - that's what home automation is all about. Use a controller like an Ocelot, Homevision, etc to log the alarms and output during selected periods.

I live in the country and the universal intrusion alarm has four legs and makes a sound like bark-bark. Extremely reliable, but easily falses if an armadillo happens through at 3 in the morning.

One last thought. If you're not a home automation user, you might consider buying a small 6 or 8 zone alarm panel. It should allow you to do what you want and give you some added security as well. I like Caddx, others have their preference.

Good luck.

John

No wrote:

Reply to
jmj1492

Cabling-Design.com Forums website is not affiliated with any of the manufacturers or service providers discussed here. All logos and trade names are the property of their respective owners.