shielding low voltage wire, running low voltage wires aside 12-2 romex

Actually you do a better job of that than me or Graham.

Yet you mention me in almost every post.

It's not that I don't like *you*, Bass. It's your dishonesty and self-serving bullshit I don't like.

You lied (again). I called you on it. You're also a moron for posting such nonsense in a group like this. The other regulars are far too polite to say anything to you (or they're aware of your retaliation methods and don't care to get involved).

Heh... Your "assistance" usually has a "buy from me" button behind it. There are dozens of other individuals here that share their expertise and knowledge with no such agenda or who don't feel the need to inflate their egos with c*ck and bullshit stories.

Tell you what... I'll take a page from your book. You lay off with the "Jiminex", "Cracker" and "Olson" crap and I'll think about it.

Reply to
Frank Olson
Loading thread data ...

That's not always possible even "in the best situation". Make an effort to maintain the minimum distance required by NEC, but try for more where you can.

You won't need to wrap it. What you're describing should create any problems for you. You can't run communication grade cables and 110VAC into the same hole though and definitely not into the same box (unless it has a physical barrier separating the high voltage side from the low voltage side.

Reply to
Frank Olson

Oh give it a rest Frank. These days it's malcontents like you that are the problem, not Bass.

Reply to
Bill Kearney

agreed

Reply to
minifrank

Is that the one with the funny initials?

Reply to
John J. Bengii

There is no need. In some cases wrapping a ungrounded conductor around a twisted pair cable may actually degrade the cable's performance.

Reply to
Lewis Gardner

Not always. See NEC 725-54 Exception 2.

Reply to
Lewis Gardner

Hmmmm-- let's have a look at your completely unprovoked attack yesterday in ASA against the late Mike Sabbodish, myself, and Jim. Message-ID:

"Another example of a derivative work is the hate website created my the late Michael Sabodish. He archived comments from numerous posters, morphed images stolen from my website and assembled them in a childish but creative attempt at harassment. While the site was more infantile than offensive, it might qualify as a derivative work. Sadly, Mike spent almost all of his energy and eventually, his life itself, on hatred and rage. If he'd directed half of that energy on something useful he'd have been rich and (possibly) still with us. I figure Jiminex and Cracker are both heading down the same path but by different means of transport. Jiminex rides only his rage but Cracker floats along on a sea of alcohol and drugs. In the end it will be the same -- two more wasted lives. AH, but I digress.... "

What kind of response did you expect that to produce? Is it okay for you to play Mr. Nice Guy in this NG and be the dick you are in the other? You're a fraud Bassey.. You're a convicted felon and a compulsive liar, and you ain't foolin' nobody. Like you were told before - f*ck right off and die already.

Reply to
G. Morgan

messagenews:rCaoj.7204$ZO5.7023@trnddc03...

So considering interference with 120V electric wires, is it caused by the electric current in general or is it caused when there's a problem with the electric wiring?

If you go to home depot they sell electric/data combo boxes with a little sheet of plastic to separate the wires. I haven't bought any of these, but I can't see how or why that could qualify for "code".

Reply to
John M Lauck

messagenews:rCaoj.7204$ZO5.7023@trnddc03...

If the box is "UL Listed", the "little sheet of plastic" qualifies as the "physical barrier" or "separation" required by NEC.

AC has been know to induce voltages into nearby cable runs. Usually this isn't measurable by a standard VOM (I say *usually* - I've never actually come across an instance). Most "erratic keypad operation" is caused by poor connections (or a component failure).

Reply to
Frank Olson

Right... As I said previously... we don't see "eye to eye" regarding Bass. He's a "dope" for posting an idiotic self-aggrandizing fable. Someone had to call him on it. I accept full responsibility. :-)

Reply to
Frank Olson

Yeah, when the LV cable is connected to a device in the box AND IS CONTROLLING THAT DEVICE.

It'd be kinda hard to control the device via that wire without the wire going in there, wouldn't it?

Reply to
Karl Denninger

There are two separate issues. Code, which prohibits running low voltage cables too close to parallel high voltage wires, is mainly concerned with life safety. In the event the two get shorted together your low voltage hardware could become energized with lethal voltages. For the same reason combo boxes like the ones you mention below come with an insulating separator to keep the two apart.

Performance can be affected adversely when data cables run close and parallel to high voltage cables due to inductance -- the same thing that makes transformers work.

The plastic insert keeps the low voltage components and cables separated from 110/220VAC and, as long as the box bears the appropriate UL label it will comply with US electrical codes. Because there's such a small length of wire inside the box, induction isn't a problem there either.

There's one point I failed to address earlier. You asked about wrapping the part of the cable near the high voltage runs. That won't really be effective. To keep garbage out of your data cable, the shield would usually need to run the length of the cable and be grounded at one end. If you can keep the major part of data cable runs at least a foot away from parallel 110VAC you'll be OK though.

Reply to
Robert L Bass

Wrapping the signal cable with aluminum foil and grounding it will assist in blocking capacitive induction but will not help with magnetic induction. These cables are all rated for close encounters with low voltage residential power circuits. They are insulated, shielded, differential mode inputs sensing and/or terminated with low impedance ends to assist with noise reduction. Cripes we run signal cables through 3000 ampere, 14kV switchgear and have very little problems with it. Don't wrap it around or tie it to the other cable though.

Reply to
John J. Bengii

Reply to
John J. Bengii

Apparently yours isn't, you supposedly already plonked me.

Reply to
G. Morgan

Mine expire for time to time.

Reply to
John J. Bengii

And the nitwits tend to keep changing how they forge their message headers.

Reply to
Bill Kearney

That's because they want to avoid spam filters. I've never done that (although Bass has often accused me of it).

Reply to
Frank Olson

Cabling-Design.com Forums website is not affiliated with any of the manufacturers or service providers discussed here. All logos and trade names are the property of their respective owners.