security camera - save to disk advice please

Hi

I have no experience in this area - advice sought.

My daughter has had her car 'keyed' / (scraped) several times outside her house (3 yards / meters from window).

I would like to set up a camera which would be triggered when someone passes the car, it should take several stills or a few seconds of video.

I would prefer to save directly to storage media - possibly a removable hard disk, although flash media might be an alternative.

As car can be inspected each day, the media could be erased daily.

I would appreciate comments on the practicality of taking the images (mostly at night) and the practicallity of saving images direct to recordable media.

Note boradband / wireless internet is not available in the premises so IP camera will not be practical.

Thanks ColinK

Reply to
ColinK
Loading thread data ...

You might check whether the free HomeSentinel would be suitable. It's pretty good at detecting motion in low light. Download it from:

formatting link

-- Bob Day

Reply to
Bob Day

IP cameras do not require an internet connection of any kind, only a PC or network recorder of some sort. That said, they're relatively expensive for a temporary setup like this.

If you have a computer in the house, there's plenty of software available that will do what you want with any USB webcam. Otherwise you need some sort of video-capture device to use a standard camera.

Most of these cheap cameras, however, do not have very good low-light performance, so unless she parks under a street light, you may not get usable images.

The most cost-effective solution, frankly, would probably be to find a used 1/3" CCTV camera with an appropriate lens, and just connect it to a VCR, then record it at SLP with T-160 tape, which will give you 8 hours and should be enough to get through the night. If you can find a used time-lapse recorder to go with it, even better, but since those are usually only taken out of service when they fail, it may not be possible.

If you really need to record to digital, you could look at some of Video Domain's MemoCam offerings. From the ad copy for the MC-Z/BX:

"The MC-Z/BX model is for use in low light conditions, with sensitivity of 0.003 Lux. It has full resolution quality of 640x480 (VGA), recording quality - 8 levels, 10 frames per second (fps), an RS-485 Comm Port, and a TV output for an external monitor.

"MemoCam Zorro is a solid state device that doesn't require daily maintenance, and is easy to install and use without special training. It is IP ready for remote management over Internet/LAN.

"It automatically record events on a mini SD card for local storage up to 2GB memory. The recorded events are easily analyzed by simply removing the mini SD card from the unit and inserting it into a memory card reader connected to a PC/pocket PC."

No idea what the prices are for this unit though, but I'm sure Bass would be happy to sell you one.

Reply to
Matt Ion

There are fake cameras with blinking LEDs that are cheap and may be worth a try. The other technique that can be quite effective is to get your daughter to apologize for being a bitch to somebody she pissed off. There is usually a reason and it seems to be working.

Reply to
John J. Bengii

He's one of yours. Keep him.

Reply to
G. Morgan

Cabling-Design.com Forums website is not affiliated with any of the manufacturers or service providers discussed here. All logos and trade names are the property of their respective owners.