Second zone remote

Got a Denon AVR 1908 a month back. It allows for a "zone 2", with a different source. It even comes with a 2nd remote just for Zone 2.

Thing is, the remote is IR only, so it is useless from within zone 2! (it's another room)

There is a "remote/network" input on the 1908, but it seems to be for their IPOD adapter.

Question is, what are my options?

Whats out there for IR->RF->RF->IR, or for just extending the IR?

I'd rather not run more wires (the speakers in Zone 2 are in place and working)

Thanks in advance.

Reply to
J Miller
Loading thread data ...

Do you think that this might be covered in the owner's manual? Denon has a pretty good website with lots of documentation. If you can't find it try this:

formatting link

Reply to
bruceR

Been there, done that... All they show is a non Id'd box with wires to another non-Id'd box.. Also emailed their tech support, but figured I might get better (or more) options here...

It would also be nice to have the soluti> J Miller wrote:

Reply to
J Miller

The Powermid is only 55 bucks and you can add on more receivers and transmitters in other rooms than just two:

formatting link

Reply to
RickH

My electronically ballasted aquarium lights blow it "out of the water" ;-)

...Jim Thompson

Reply to
Jim Thompson

Here's what Devon Tech support pointed me to:

(not from SmartHome, but the same product)

formatting link
I'm staying away from the X10 thing, as over the years, I've found X10's stuff like this to be of poor quality.

Reply to
J Miller

Slick, I wonder how the battery-substitute transmitter "sees" what IR signals the remote is trying to send so it can echo them out in RF? Is that waveform passed electrically through the batteries in all remotes? Or is there a sensor you need to hook up that sees the remotes IR emitter and is wired back to the battery-substitute unit? However it works its a pretty cool idea to substitute the battery with an RF unit.

Reply to
RickH

Just got it today.. There's two included 2/3 AAA size batteries that goes in the RF module, and one is charging now, so it will be a few hours before I try it. The receiver part contains the charger, and with

2 batteries, one's in the charger when the other is in use.

It must do something with current sense to detect the IR pulses. I'll post how well it works!

Reply to
J Miller

Just tried it.. It works great!

Just pop out one battery, and pop in the RF unit. No wires or IR sensor.

Reply to
J Miller

Everything that switches puts out a small (or sometimes large) amount of RF (which is usually considered EMI). The transmitter circuitry senses this from the IR emitter circuitry, amplifies it, and sends it as RF. It's an ingenious idea.

formatting link
formatting link
snipped-for-privacy@yahoogroups.com

Reply to
Dave Houston

Cabling-Design.com Forums website is not affiliated with any of the manufacturers or service providers discussed here. All logos and trade names are the property of their respective owners.